• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tyre Recommendations (track day/air field junkies help required)

This question may have been covered before but I couldn't find anything that quite answers my question in the search.

I have a Honda S2000 and I've signed up to go on the HOT car limits day at North Weald Airfield. The reason for this is, in over a year of driving it I am nowhere near as confident with where the limit is as I have been with all my previous FWD performance cars. This I put down to inexperience with RWD.

My current set of rear tyres (Toyo T1R's) are just due for a change so I was thinking of putting a cheaper set on for the time being, racking up about 1000 miles on them before the car limits day. The reasoning behind putting cheaper tyres on is because I won't care if I ruin them on the day as I have heard the airfield isn't very forgiving to your rubber.

Can anyone recommend a relatively decent set of tyres that are cheap enough to chuck after the day in the event they are wrecked?

Once the day is over I can then get another decent set again for daily road use.

Rears on the car are 245/40/17

Thanks,

Alex

Tbh with you mate, you won't destroy the tyres are the North Weald day so i'd put on what you want to run on the road so at least the car will handle the same, and you'll have an idea of how the car behaves on those tyres at the limit and beyond:)

north weald is a coont on tyres though nick, destroyed mine earlier in the year :(

north weald is a coont on tyres though nick, destroyed mine earlier in the year :(

Yeah but you're a loon:lol:

I don't think there is a lot of point putting shoddy tyres on to learn a cars limits, when the limits will completely change when it's got decent rubber on though:confused:

Yeah but you're a loon:lol:

I don't think there is a lot of point putting shoddy tyres on to learn a cars limits, when the limits will completely change when it's got decent rubber on though:confused:

yeah id keep th tyres that are on, destroy them at NW and then buy some new ones :cool:

I have to be honest, I drive like a loon too so Harv's mentality may well apply. I just drove to tesco and back and all you can smell is hot rubber when parking it back on the drive way.

I can't keep the one's I've got at they are pretty much on the tread bars now and definitely would be well in to them by the time I go which is why I posed the question of slightly cheaper ones.

Anything below 3mm gives VERY skittish handling in even slightly wet conditions if I'm completely honest and I've already had the wheels spinning last night on the M1 when hitting VTEC in 4th so need new ones ASAP!

All I was thinking was that my toyo's are £280 for a pair and are quite a soft compound so its quite steep to replace them if the new set get ruined.

Back