• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Unsure about buying an ep3 (newbie)

I went to look at a nhb type r ep3 yesterday. It was pretty clean as a 10 year old car goes ('03) there was a few little chips and car parking dents here and there but nothing to cry about, I'd rather see stuff like that as it shows that the seller isn't trying to hide it. The interior was again really good, a slight bit of wear on the drivers seat, again this happens. It has a full service history and has recently had new tyres all round and discs and pads all round along with a recent oil change as this was checked by myself. The car itself had done 95k is this sort of mileage a problem on these cars? I took it out for a test drive and to be honest it felt nice and tight to me, no knocks or bangs no pulling issues and the gear box felt quite rifle bolt esque. The only fault I did find was the air con didn't work. The light didn't come on when the button was pressed, I guess this could be because there's no gas in the system? It's nothing major as its not something I use often.
Any advice you guys can offer?

As far as mileage goes, that's fairly average and nothing to worry about. The K20 is a good lump, and will go on for a hell of a lot more than that if you look after it, oil and water etc. As for the aircon, did the system actually work, or was it just simply doing nothing? If it was coming on but the light not showing it could simply be the bulb has gone, if the aircon didn't come in at all, it could have been removed due to weight saving or a super charger being fitted. If the pump is under the bonnet, it could be re-gassing is needed.

Do you really need an a/c? I mean how hot can a summer day be in the UK? 20-25? If it's priced fairly and you like it take the car.

It's up for 2750 so I'd say its fair like looking at the wear or lack of wear on the interior I'd say its probably been motorway miles. I suppose it's possible that the a/c bulb had popped as the air did seem cold when I pressed it.

Price is good i think. You can actually see for yourself if it has indeed an a/c compressor. If it does, when running check the tubes; one should be hot and other chilling. If it does work but doesn't cool the air lacks R134, if it doesn`t work at all there could be a blown fuse. But don`t rely simply on the led. Also the EP3`s have a common issue in the cold/warm selector. there`s a small bit joining the cable to the warm/cold switch,that sometimes brakes, if it`s not replaced then warm/cold selection needs to be done from the bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let mileage put you off at all mate. I am on 175K and no issues at all. Things do wear, yes, but nothing of major concern or is not a chance for upgrading a failed part ;)

Back