• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

valve adjustment?

need to get my valves adjusted on my ctr,
am i right in thinking that these should be done when the engine is stone cold?

I take it you mean the valve tappets clearence?

Yep, best done on a cold engine. There is a very good 'how-to' on CTRO but if you are unsure then Honda dealer/TDi will be the best place to leave the car.

It is a two hour job for a spanner-expert (Dad) and spanner-noob (me) to get the job done.

need to get my valves adjusted on my ctr,
am i right in thinking that these should be done when the engine is stone cold?

yes mate it is best for the engine to be stone cold before you do this therefore it's best to leave the car in the garage and leave it overnight, then do it first thing in the morning, are you going to do it yourself or you going to get someone to do it for you, iirc honda include this in the 42,000 service (or 44/45,000 sevice as im not sure what number it is):rolleyes:

The front ones are easy to do but the ones at the back near the bulk head can be a bit fiddly.
Having good feeler blades for valves clearances, ones with an angle in them help as well.

Took me about an hour and a half using the How To on CTRO.

car is in at honda today to get em done. i have the tools but don't trust myself to be fiddling about with my engine.

Do they really do it though?
In the official mechanics handbook, it says that they should be checked after 100,000 miles.

Do they really do it though?
In the official mechanics handbook, it says that they should be checked after 100,000 miles.
Where'd you get that from? For EP3's it's offically every 25k miles or 2 years.

You can tell if they've done it as you should be able to see the new liquid gasket round the edge of the came cover where they're re-sealed it as they've put it back on. I could on mine.

just noticed this is a canadian manual

However it is severe conditions. The normal conditions one is even more relaxed.

I am aware that it is 25kmiles in the UK manuals, but why is there such a discrepency between two countrys with similar(ish) climates?

severe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think that is for a Type R, they dont get the CTR in Canada.

just noticed this is a canadian manual

However it is severe conditions. The normal conditions one is even more relaxed.

I am aware that it is 25kmiles in the UK manuals, but why is there such a discrepency between two countrys with similar(ish) climates?

Because they don't get the CTR and the CTR is only the civic without self adjusting tappets, hence they need to be manually adjusted every 25k.

oh, cool.

Interesting though.

The manual that is taken from is most ceratinly an EP3 CTR manual. As I have used it to service and replace bits and bobs. The pictures correspond exactly to my car. It definately details the K20A2 engine, and in hatchback form, looking exactly like a uk ctr.

All the techinal overhaul/removal/replacement walkthroughs respond to a EP3 CTR. However there are some differences in the service section;
eg these tappet adjustments, also it talks of a cam "belt", and the reccomended oil is different.

I wonder if it is a mish/mash of two manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back