• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Valve clearance issue!!

Over the last few days the EP3 has developed a slight tapping noise, sort of like an old car if that makes sense? I've removed the 'V-tec cover' and the noise is still there, both when the engine is cold and warm & the oil level is fine.

After doing a bit of a search on the forum, I found a few threads by people with the same problem. All seemed to point in the same direction of the valve clearance/tappets :( .

I also found out from the search and a quick scan through my manual, that the clearance should be checked/adjusted every 25k miles.

I got my car serviced in August this year, not long after getting it, and looking through the service report it seems Honda have not checked/adjusted the valve clearance even though the car had done just over 29,000 miles at the time. There is no 'tick or 'cross' in the relevant 'YES' 'NO' boxes for this on the service report.

The service report before this, for 2009 the car had only done 22,000 miles and it states 'NO' in the relevant box, so wasn't done in '09.

With the clearance seemingly not done, is there an adverse effects of driving the car with this issue? Also what is the likely-hood of me being able to take the car back to Honda and getting them to sort this for me FOC? As it should of been done at my last service in August. Any ideas how much Honda charge to do the valve clearance if I can't blag it?

Thanks in advance for reading :D ,

Scott.

If they have charged you for the service then yeah should definately be FOC IMO.
My local Honda want £90 to check and then another £60 to adjust, so I thought fcuk them I will do it myself. It was a right PITA to do, definately a two man job (for the crank/pulley bit atleast) and afterwards my car didn't sound any different. In the process I managed to get a rocker cover bolt stuck into the block that won't come out and I lost a good few hours of my life :lol:

Cheers Danga :)
They charged me £170 odd for the service, which is about right for a normal service no?
If the clearance check/adjustment was meant to be done, would the serviced have been considerably more expensive?
Don't fancy having a go myself as I don't feel confident tinkering with my engine in case I balls it up :eek:
I would ordinarily take it to TDi north as I'm sure it would be cheaper, but after reading that the car needs to be left to go stone cold, would I be right in thinking that TDi don't supply courtesy cars?

Yeah £170 is average, providing you had the usual oil, oil filter, air filter, possibly plugs, and the all round check. Mine also wash the car which is cool.
It will be due but you have to instruct them to do it, and you would probably have paid circa £300-£350 with it done at the same time.
Yeah the engine has to be under a certain temp, but yeah basically stone cold.

I have never used TDi so I can't comment I'm afraid.

Scotttomo Valve clearance issue!!
Over the last few days the EP3 has developed a slight tapping noise, sort of like an old car if that makes sense? I've removed the 'V-tec cover' and the noise is still there, both when the engine is cold and warm & the oil level is fine.

After doing a bit of a search on the forum, I found a few threads by people with the same problem. All seemed to point in the same direction of the valve clearance/tappets :( .

I also found out from the search and a quick scan through my manual, that the clearance should be checked/adjusted every 25k miles.

I got my car serviced in August this year, not long after getting it, and looking through the service report it seems Honda have not checked/adjusted the valve clearance even though the car had done just over 29,000 miles at the time. There is no 'tick or 'cross' in the relevant 'YES' 'NO' boxes for this on the service report.

The service report before this, for 2009 the car had only done 22,000 miles and it states 'NO' in the relevant box, so wasn't done in '09.

With the clearance seemingly not done, is there an adverse effects of driving the car with this issue? Also what is the likely-hood of me being able to take the car back to Honda and getting them to sort this for me FOC? As it should of been done at my last service in August. Any ideas how much Honda charge to do the valve clearance if I can't blag it?

Thanks in advance for reading :D ,

Scott.
Hi,

See my post here.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?72414-FN2-Type-R-2-year-25k-Service

My FN2 Type R should also have had this done at 2 yrs 25k which was last week. It didn't.
Have an interesting read........and hopefully it should be sorted soon now that Honda U.K are involved! :lol:

Cheers again Danga :D

Yeah my local dealer washed and hoovered my motor too, not very well mind :lol:

Just rang TDi north and they said £87 for the valve clearance, which can be done warm or cold, result :D Might combine it with a trip to Ikea.......actually :( :lol:

+1 They cannot be done correctly with a warm engine. :roll:

Whoever I spoke to at TDi North said that ideally the engine needs to be below a ceratin temp but they do have the 'warm' settings to do them if need be. He said that the car having to be 'cold' to have them done was, in his words not mine, bullsh!t! I'm confused now :eek: :(

Personally i'd go with what Honda say, they are after all the world's largest engine manufacturer.

Hmmm if I do take it to Tdi, I'll make sure they do them cold.

Is it best to leave the car with them overnight to do it, like Honda? Or would, say 4hrs be sufficient?

Scott.

Is it best to leave the car with them overnight to do it, like Honda? Or would, say 4hrs be sufficient?

Scott.

When I had my EP3 done at Honda it was a full day job, get it there for 8.30 and pick it up at 5. No need to leave it overnight.

Warm clearances will be an educated guesstimate...probably not far off but the properly prescribed method is always from cold. Every manufacturer specifies this way for a number of technical reasons.

Scott.

I dropped my car off....5mins drive at the most at 9am. I had a call at 12pm to say the car was still too hot :lol:

Back