• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Valves Adjustment

Hi All
Could someone please tell me whether my 02 civic type R has hydraulic tappits or are they adjustable. I think hydraulic. I also understand that the CTR has camchains not a cam belt. If this is true, it should save me some dosh on my next 48K service.
Cheers guys

yep its a camchain mate

and the tappets are not hydrolic (sp?)

they are adjusted at the 25k service IIRC

valves and cams

Cheers Black R for quick reply. My local garage thought the valves were hydraulic. Have to put them right on that one before next weeks 48K service so they can stick a feeler gauge in.

Hi there mate, sure these are cold settings, adjusted mine the other week after installing repaired cylinder head and all is ok, I take it you have EP3, settings as per Honda workshop manual :-

Intake 0.21 - 0.25mm (0.008 - 0.010 inches)
Exhaust 0.25 - 0.29mm (0.010 - 0.011 inches)

I adjusted mine to higher limits ie intake 0.010 inch, exhaust 0.011 inch.

Car has done 1000 miles since head rebuild and maybe adjust these again.

Good luck fella.

Cheers chippyleigh.
Yep EP3, same year as yours. Cheers for the info mate. By the way, where did you get a workshop manual from, as haynes and the like don't do one for these models. Must be an expensive genuine one! Got to find out the price of one from honda.

Back