• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vehicles require insurance unless you've notified the DVLA its off the road

I can't understand how this is going to help reduce the number of uninsured drivers. People will just stop paying road tax too and the only way this would help is if they seriously increase the number of DVLA ANPR checks nationwide

DVLA said:
The DVLA, in conjunction with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) and the British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA), is reminding drivers that a new law to be rolled out in late Spring will mean that they must keep their vehicle insured unless they have notified the DVLA that is it is being kept off the road.

Information about the new law is being distributed with all V11 tax renewal forms from March in addition to the guidance and video available now on Direct.gov.

David Evans, DVLA’s Corporate Affairs Director, said: “We know that uninsured drivers are a menace on our roads and add around £30 to honest motorists’ premiums. It is vitally important that motorists understand the change and how it will impact on them. That is why we have added new information today to Direct.gov which offers clear advice to help motorists understand the new rules.”

Neil Drane, MIB’s Head of Motor Insurance Database Services said: “The change in law is a stepping up of enforcement activity, so that not only those vehicles driven without insurance will be caught. Now the registered keeper must make sure that their vehicle is insured all the time. And if it is, then they need not be concerned. The DVLA and MID will be systematically checked, so that the levels of uninsured driving are reduced even further.”

Graeme Trudgill, BIBA’s Head of Corporate Affairs said: “Continuous Insurance Enforcement will help reduce the £500 million burden on innocent motorists caused by uninsured drivers, vehicle keepers should ensure they stay insured or SORN their vehicle if it is laid up. Vehicle keepers can always check at www.askmid.com

The DVLA is working in partnership with MIB to identify the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles. Latest estimates are that around 4% (around 1.4 million) of GB motorists drive uninsured. Around 242,000 offenders are convicted for uninsured driving every year.

The consequences of driving without insurance are:
• Vehicle seized by police• £200 fixed penalty
• £150 plus £20/day to recover the vehicle
• Six penalty points and/or disqualification
• PLUS proof of insurance before the vehicle can be returned

The consequences of keeping a vehicle without insurance, under the new system, will be:
• Motorists will receive a letter telling them that their vehicle appears to be uninsured and warning them that they
will be fined unless they take action.
• The keeper will be given a £100 fine each time they fail to insure their vehicle.
• PLUS if the vehicle remains uninsured – regardless of whether the fine is paid – it could then be seized and
destroyed.
• Vehicles with a valid Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) will not be required to be insured.

For more information go to:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696?pro=stayinsured

I thought this had always been the case anyway, but you are right it's not going to curtail the amount of uninsured drivers.

I thought this had always been the case anyway, but you are right it's not going to curtail the amount of uninsured drivers.

you didn't have to previously tell the DVLA its SORN with insurance, that only applied to Vehicle Excess Duty (Road Tax)

as shaenei notes, i have a situation where my mondeo is now uninsured and unused but still taxed. as it is uninsured i have got it off the public highway as i know you can't leave it parked on the road with road tax but no insurance. what this means for me is i have to declare it sorn, and get some money back on the unused months on the tax disc. great in theory but it is a spare car and sometimes i insure it with dayinsure or my existing insurance company for a few days and will be unable to do that now as i'll have to go through the rigmarole of waiting for the ASKMID database to be updated then buy some road tax. if you only use it for a week and cash the tax back in you lose the rest of the month.

bit of a pain, but as with most things i am sure there are ways around it.

Eagerly awaits the fallout in Bradford. Expect police auctions to soar.

As much as it's a pain in the circumstances rossy describes, it will sure as hell kerb the number of fvckheads driving uninsured cars under "traders" policy's.. Or using the old "drive any other car 3rd party" clause on insurance policy's for 1litre micra's, then stating "I can drive any car, innit bruv, getting a golf gti, sick cars"

two ways to get round this;

1) get a friend to put your car reg on their traders policy they then update with MID. with the understanding if the car ever goes on the road it will be insured like normal. means you don't have to sorn it.

2) or my favourite as it is more devious, when buying the car put a fake name & address on the main part of v5c that gets sent off. goes on the system, all shitty letters go there, car is parked up off the road anyway. when you need to tax the car you can just insure like normal then get tax online, or take tear off green slip empty to post office. when car is to be sold get buyer to apply for lost v5 form v62 for £19 or you do just prior to sale with legitimate details.

If you've got a dodgy address on V5 how can you apply for tax online?

Also the Green slip is only supposed to be valid for a certain amount of time from sale of vehicle.

Traffic police cars have ANPR cameras in them.
I got stopped about 4 years ago in Belfast and whilst I was sitting in the car getting a rollocking, it caught 3 or 4 cars with either no MOT or tax.
The traffic cop said the computer automatically prints out the fine :)

Really don't like this change.
Makes it awkward on a few situations, such as the one mentioned by rossy t, and people who evade tax/insurance will still end up getting away with it.

If you've got a dodgy address on V5 how can you apply for tax online?

put MR ALI 123 BRADFORD on the main part of V5 when buying. then leave tear off blank. then when you finally go to tax or insure it for whatever reason (normally you been pulled by plod and they recovered your car to the pound) then fill in the name on the tear off then. tip ex after.

It's basically a pain for everyone except the people who evaded everything in the first place...

Its a pain for people who have an occasional track car :(

It's basically a pain for everyone except the people who evaded everything in the first place...

This is a stupid law. Just had it all explained to me by my insurance company as I didn't want to insure the civic till before Japfest in May. The car is taxed and on private land but I still have to insure it to stay legal. Not impressed at all :(

funky did they say when this law was becoming active.[/URL].

She said January on the phone. Now I'm frantically calling insurance companies while a head full of cold trying to get a decent quote before my renewal tomorrow.

what like january 2012. or january 3 months ago, which i can't believe is correct as i have had a car with tax uninsured throughout that period and no fines have been sent so i wouldn't worry about it just yet old boy.

January three months ago, according to the girl I spoke to. Turns out my renewal isn't too bad so I will be sticking with A Plan for another year.

another year or so has passed, i'm interested if anyone has ever received angry DVLA letters for not being in compliance with the mandatory SORN or insured law? i know somebody who currently has a car that is not sorn (with tax still ticking down), but not insured either and they haven't recieved any letters. i think this is scare tactic and am interested if anyone has any non-anecdotal evidence.

reminds me of the m25 speed cameras not being active.

Back