• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

very Slight Grinding Noise

Hi Lads just bought a 2002 Red Anniversary edition Ep3 Last week from a dealer! Car is Mint only 55,000 miles on her will have to post pics. I thought i was going mad but can hear a very slight what seems to be grinding noise coming form the left side that you can hear when driving along. When you put your Foot on the clutch it goes. Thier is plenty on the clutch and not grinding into gears any suggestions?I have seen you other post about bearings in Gearbox etc! Could it be something else? Thanks Lads

Last edited by a moderator:
Definatly grinding noise??

Not a rattle?

Im thinking iVtec cover, driveshaft heat shield, these sort of common things.

Hi lads read the thread and most people are saying it could be the Mainshaft bearings! Does this need to be fixed like will it cause damage to the gerabox and will i get worse?as i said i have only bought the car and it does have a warranty should i wait and see if it gets any worse as it is not too bad at the moment!

Went To Mechanic

Hi lads went down to the Garages mechanic and he said that the bearings in the gearbox are gone and need to be replaced. So would he be right with that diagnosis?Just want the car to be spot on!!!

Hi lads went down to the Garages mechanic and he said that the bearings in the gearbox are gone and need to be replaced. So would he be right with that diagnosis?Just want the car to be spot on!!!

This happend on my friends Civic Sport it had about 50k on it so it is probably right

With the car running and sitting still, step on the clutch , leave it in for 10 seconds , while listening carefully , let the clutch out, does it make noise when you let it out?

Haven't tried that yet but i do know that I can hear it when your driving along but once I press the clutch in the noise goes and when you let the clutch out it comes back. I have only really noticed the noise when driving but i will try it!

Haven't tried that yet but i do know that I can hear it when your driving along but once I press the clutch in the noise goes and when you let the clutch out it comes back. I have only really noticed the noise when driving but i will try it!
Idle the car , step on the clutch, than listen while you let it out , if it starts whirring , its mainshaft bearings.

Ok well i can only really hear it when i am driving to be honest and a light bit when idle. When i step on the clutch then let it out it starts whirring so must be mainshaft bearings. When these are replaced or reconditioned box fitted is thier a chance the fault will occur in another 50,000 miles like do most with ep3 type r have the same issue? Forgot to mention mine is the jap spec with lsd!!

I had the gearbox bearings and clutch changed. Still exists. I'm guessing the main shaft. Thing is, it doesn't get any worse... and people have had it for thousands of miles. Could just be a design issue? I think a lot of people might not even notice it, e.g. I have 2 point it out to passengers. Once I show them they can hear!

Yeah so is it worth getting sorted then?cause no point getting gearbox sorted if it will come back!!i have also heard people on the forum saying that they have had clutch and gearbox replaced and noise still came back and its probably the mainshaft bearing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the gearbox bearings and clutch changed. Still exists. I'm guessing the main shaft. Thing is, it doesn't get any worse... and people have had it for thousands of miles. Could just be a design issue? I think a lot of people might not even notice it, e.g. I have 2 point it out to passengers. Once I show them they can hear!
Have you seen the mechanic change the bearings,or they say that they change the bearings?:eek:

Alright lads so going to the dealers mechanic on monday i got two other opinions today off two mechanics and the are all saying its the gearbox bearings which i already new. While they are doing the gearbox should i get them to replace the input shaft bearings as i heard this is the main cause of the noise according to this site and others?sorry for going on about this just don't want to get gearbox sorted and noise to continue!! like is it common practice to replace the input shaft bearings at same time as gearbox bearings?not a mechanic so wouldn't know Thanks

Alright lads so going to the dealers mechanic on monday i got two other opinions today off two mechanics and the are all saying its the gearbox bearings which i already new. While they are doing the gearbox should i get them to replace the input shaft bearings as i heard this is the main cause of the noise according to this site and others?sorry for going on about this just don't want to get gearbox sorted and noise to continue!! like is it common practice to replace the input shaft bearings at same time as gearbox bearings?not a mechanic so wouldn't know Thanks
Change all bearings in gearbox housing and clutch realise bearing,When the mechanic remove gearbox from the car be there,thats the only way to be sure that they change bearings!Tell them that you show broke bearing who made sound!Sory for bad english!

Back