• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Was speaker upgrade an option from factory on EP3? If so, anyone got more details?

As title really - I'm buying a CTR EP3 54 reg and the owner says it has an audio upgrade from the factory. Silver coloured tweeters mounted onto the door mirror interior covers...

I was wondering if this is true and a speaker upgrade was an option from new, and if so then details about the speakers, if they're any good, power handling and so on :)

Thanks guys.

I believe the tweeters were IME. 1hp increase. ;)

The Mini-Disc player was also an upgrade option. 2hp increase. 10 retro points now. Sony Betamax all over again. :(

Yeah it was an option, but they're pretty pap. The only good thing is you have pre made holes for decent tweeters. ;)

Hopefully with that and the magnex cat back which is on the car I may hit 201BHP? lol :)

I will have take some snaps, if it's OEM kit it's not a convincing install, you'll see what I mean. If not OEM, I shall have to find out what they are. I could take the door panel off but it doesn't creak or rattle and after owning a MK4 Golf that is bliss, so I don't want to disturb it yet :D

Door cards are fairly easy to get off on Hondas - My experience anyway. Your current speakers will perform slightly better with an aftermarket head unit which these days does not break the bank for an ipod compatible type.

Good times, I do like my tunes but I've spunked all my money on the car, so audio is kinda on a back burner. I need to find out how easy it is to swap the head unit on EP3's as well, I will come to that later though :)

Good times, I do like my tunes but I've spunked all my money on the car, so audio is kinda on a back burner. I need to find out how easy it is to swap the head unit on EP3's as well, I will come to that later though :)

A few screws I would rate it on the easy side of the scale unlike the ATR which is a bitch.

There should be a guide lurking about somewhere.

These are the tweeters, another friend today who's just had a Type R has the same fitted in his so maybe they are Honda ones afterall?!

tweet2.jpg

tweet1.jpg

With the way they're mounted (to me they just look screwed on from the rear of the holder) it doesn't look OEM either, weird though that both cars are facelifts from seperate ends of the country and have the same speakers. Strange :) They sound pretty good in my opinion and I'm quite into my sounds/ICE (on a value for money scale at least!)

From what i can tell from the picture they are not OEM. They dont have the raised type front that OEM ones do. They simply look like they have cut a hole out the original ones to fit them.

OEM tweeters
2iqd7ao.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual tweeters look very similar apart from colour but yeah I would have been expecting those mirror covers like you posted.

I was told they were upgraded from new, be it from another place, but was kinda shocked to see another car from nowhere near the same place as this one came from with the exact same tweeters and mounted the same.

Strange, one day soon I will take one off and have a nosey :)

Sory to just jump in to you thread but Iv seen a few CTR with a flat screen were the cd player is. Do u now were I can get one from ?

Back