• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

WelshyWelsh's Cosmic Premier EP3

Glad they finally arrived! Although they're a completely different shade of blue to mine, much darker. But then mine are quite a bit older.

Your experience with them is the same I had when I first fitted them. At normal speeds they didn't feel different to OEM at all, which made me wonder whether I had wasted my money. But then when I got the chance to really test them, boy were they good!! Report back once you've covered a few more miles. :p

Not sure if it's the lighting with my crappy camera phone to be honest, but the finish on them is amazing. Seems they get get lighter with age as the dust and sun gets to them I guess. Cheers again for the spacers. There was a moment when we'd fitted everything and bled brakes, when I had a panic on the spacers. Fitment is perfect though :)

Will certainly report back after some more miles. I can definitely report more brake dust already. Might keep a sponge in the boot for some wheel wiping! Maybe not.

Gave the car a much-needed wash today. Shiny.

Carclean_zpseb0d6a4e.gif

A few people have asked for an update on how I'm getting on with the brakes, so here goes. Basically they're amazing. They've settled in and haven't changed a bit - I still forget I have anything different to OEM in traffic as they operate smoothly for daily driving. Anytime I've stamped hard on them, I've nearly lost my face on the steering wheel
icon_razz.gif

My only concern when researching them was the need for 3mm spacers and any steering wheel wobble at motorway speeds. I potentially reached 80/85 mph the other day... and the dreaded wobble started. I had the wheels balanced and alignment checked and all was fine. The garage said that the universal fit spacers weren't 100% square to the hub so that was probably the reason.

With the adjustment the wobble is less, but still there, so I've ordered a 5x114.3 specific set to try. Not sure if aluminium is the best material, but thought I'd try this to see if it solves the problem. If it does, I may buy some forged spacers to ensure they don't break under stress. They should be with me next week.

The issue is probably due to the fact you have reduced the spigot engagement amount on the hub, so the wheel studs are bearing more weight - this isn't what they are designed to do.
Nice brakes though

The issue is probably due to the fact you have reduced the spigot engagement amount on the hub, so the wheel studs are bearing more weight - this isn't what they are designed to do.
Nice brakes though

Thanks for this. It was my understanding (possibly wrongly!) that as 3mm spacers allow the safe amount of turns on the nut that this wouldn't be an issue?! I'm guessing to resolve the above you mention, I'd need longer wheel nuts?

It was always my understanding that the 3mm spacers were fine as there was still plenty of thread to engage the nut without issue. Moreover, drilling out and replacing the studs seems a farce, it'd be easier just to buy a different set of wheels with a better offset as to do away with the spacers all together.

Cheers Karl. Yeah everything I've read said 3mm was fine for thread etc and I know you didn't have any problems either on yours. I'm going to try the new spacers and then swap wheels over front to back, to make sure one hasn't randomly gone out of shape with all the potholes around here. Shouldn't have as I don't drive like a douche.

Out of interest to everyone on here, if standard OEM offset is +45 and I need 3mm clearance, what offset would I be looking at with different wheels, bigger or smaller number? Can never remember. I know spoke design plays a part too, but offset will help.

Cheers guys

I could be wrong but its lower the offset the deeper the centre so 45 - 3 give you a off set of 42. So in theory with a 42 you won't need your 3mm spacer

I could be wrong but its lower the offset the deeper the centre so 45 - 3 give you a off set of 42. So in theory with a 42 you won't need your 3mm spacer

Nice brakes :)

Cheers guys. Spacers still haven't arrived so still not sure what approach to go in. Will keep an eye on wheels in case a bargain crosses my path...

Hopefully the Spoon springs will be here soon too. Only been 4 months so far!

I don't like your use of the wording "were on this boat"... Implying they now no longer are?! :? :lol:

I'm confident they are still in the container, it's just that the container is probably at the bottom of the ocean. No big deal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey welshy! Looks like you're in Barry! Only down the road from me in Penarth, your car looks lovely mate, great stuff :D

The spoon calipers look awesome bud I'd love a set of them

Cheers mate, yeah I love them! Still performing well-covered in brake dust at the mo so not so blue!

Hey welshy! Looks like you're in Barry! Only down the road from me in Penarth, your car looks lovely mate, great stuff :D

Thanks Josh. Haven't done anything since the calipers (and springs sunk!) but have a few more plans in mind. Any pics of your car? Will keep a look out as always driving that way!

How does the blue look compared to the usual red callipers?

I guess it's personal preference mate. As I've got a Cosmic, I think the blue looks really good against it. Plus if I decide to get darker wheels I think they'll look even better.

I guess it's personal preference mate. As I've got a Cosmic, I think the blue looks really good against it. Plus if I decide to get darker wheels I think they'll look even better.

Could you get some pictures which show them off on the car? I can imagine they look good, but pictures always help! :D

Back