• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Wet driving

Hi all, had my ep3 about 2 months now and loving it, however are they renound for being awful in the wet?
the tyres on it are fairly new but are budgets, would a decent tyre make a big difference? Because it is terrible, even taking it easy on bends I can feel it lose grip.

yep tyres mate.
I changed from bidgets as they were lethal in the wet.
Got f1s now and the difference is unbelievablke

I never 'drive' in the wet. Only incident I've ever been in was the wet. Put me of for life.

Which tyres are on the car affects the performance in the wet more than which car you're actually in!! Get em changed.

Yeah decent tyres will be a huge improvement, budgets are lethal. I would get the geometry checked to be sure too.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3's are great in the wet, but a good all-round tyre for dry and wet as mentioned above are the Goodyear F1 asymmetrical 2's and they are relatively cheap too.

Tyres are your only contact with the road, better tyres will make a massive difference.

I had "fairly new" budgets on my EP3 when I bought it. However, it turned out they were a couple years old , but had a lot left in them because they are made from such hard compound that it is very difficult to wear them out... This of course make things extremely difficult in the wet. They did improve a little once I drove them hard a few times and got some "fresh" rubber on the surface. Still by far the worst tyres I've ever had.

Rockstone Radial F105 - never buy this :)

My EP3 had four Toyo T1R's on and I didn't rate them in the dry, they were okay on the track but on the street they didn't seem to grip. In the wet they were totally rubbish! So noisy too!

Asymmetric 2's on now, much much better!

Don't get why anyone would have a decent performance car then put budget tyres on. The tyres are all the contact you have between your ass and the road, why go skanky?

Premium brand tyres for me on everything I drive. It says a lot about the car & owner imo.
Ditto the comments for Uniroyal Rainsport 3's too. Great tyres.

Seeing as we see so much rain in the UK, I run these as my default tyre.

Yes. I had ***** tyres on my first ep3 and it was unbelievably bad. Swapping the tyres makes a huge difference. Failing that, get an evo. :)

No I mean if good tyres still don't provide enough grip for what he wants then get an Evo. I didn't mean get an Evo and put cheap tyres on it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above. Tyres. When I first got my ep3 I thought something was wrong with it it was that bad in the wet. In fact I am sure I had a post similar to this at the time lol! Don't buy cheap tyres!! I repeat. Do not but crap tyres. Before that I had some parada tyres and I span it out accelerating onto a roundabout in the wet. Literally pulled out from a side road from a stationary position fairly quickly and it came out halfway around the roundabout. I repeat again, do not buy cheap budget tyres for these cars!

I then got some Yokohama ad08r's and the car was transformed. I mean really transponder and hugely confidence inspiring in the dry and wet. The R's are much better in the wet than their predecessors. They weren't cheap (£150 each at the time) but I figured it was cheaper to pay for those than an insurance repair when I binned it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people feel the need to drive quickly in the wet anyway. It's just asking for trouble imo.

I don't have the most expensive tyres on my EP3 and have never spun out in the wet or snow because i don't drive like a dick in those conditions.

Why do people feel the need to drive quickly in the wet anyway. It's just asking for trouble imo.

I don't have the most expensive tyres on my EP3 and have never spun out in the wet or snow because i don't drive like a dick in those conditions.
x2

I generally drive to the conditions. That's probably why there's so many accidents in the ice/snow when we do occasionally have it.

Back