• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What else could cause my misfire.hesitation? So far I've changed...

Low rev hesitation and misfiring as I've mentioned on previous thread. Seems to come and go, usually accompanied by bucking/kangarooing. I've put new spark plugs, replacement coilpacks from a car that was running fine, new induction kit, D1 grounding kit. Best thing I've done so far is put a DC sports bung in the Buddyclub, maybe I'm getting old :)

Noticed when getting tracking done that the rear lambda wire looked a little chaffed/squashed as if it had been clipped on a speed bump, will fix this anyway when I get a sec, could this be a cause?

Can't help but think it's related to the headlights that pulse at idle when switched on. Also sounds like idle going up and down a bit, but rev counter says no. Could alternator belt be on too tight or a pulley problem? I checked voltage across battery with car running, fluctuated between 9 and 14 volts ish at the same rate the lights pulse.

Any suggestions appreciated!

check your tps sensor on the throttle body i had this issue and it was the tps is your ecu light on if it is grab a code reader and it will tell you if your tps is hight voltage or low voltage mine was hight and had all that issuses

check your tps sensor on the throttle body i had this issue and it was the tps is your ecu light on if it is grab a code reader and it will tell you if your tps is hight voltage or low voltage mine was hight and had all that issuses

Was your EML on? Mine has similar symptoms but no fault codes and no engine management light illuminated on the dash.... :-I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue, Tom at TGM ran a diagnostic and it turned out to be the TPS. See if anyone can source one like TDI North. Honda won't sell it on its own,only with the TB and I was quoted we'll over £600.

I had the same issue, Tom at TGM ran a diagnostic and it turned out to be the TPS. See if anyone can source one like TDI North. Honda won't sell it on its own,only with the TB and I was quoted we'll over £600.

Sam at Jamsport checked my tps on a diagnostic tool (a really advanced one that showed the voltage readings etc) and it read correctly. However we adjusted it and it did seem better for a while but it seems to be doing it again now. I wonder whether I'll just get a new one for the sake of £40 (tegiwa do them) and fit it. It's a really annoying issue otherwise, even though it doesn't always happen etc!

Hi Lewis, I would change the TPS if your able to. They can be a pain. Mine was playing up intermittently for 2 years. I even had it remapped by euro spec but they did say it's 50% chance that it might work or order new TPS from Honda (including TB). So took the risk of paying 300 quid for remap but on my way back from Eurospec the EML came on. I was gutted.

Ok thanks buddy. My EML light isn't on though and never has been?

I think I might have this problem. I did fit a hybrid racing throttle body so expect it to be a little bit more jumpy. One day started it up and it was reving from 1000rpm to 3000rpm then back down. I had a look to see if any pipes etc loose but nothing looked out the ordinary. finally it just stopped doing it about an hour later, so its either something loose or tps sensor as far as i'm aware but its never done it again.

Last week started it up eml was on took the code down but reader being a scan guage its a weird code so reset it turned car back on and it didn't come back on and its been fine since, I was going to take it to garage that does my work If the light comes back on but I might just get this checked out.

Ok thanks buddy. My EML light isn't on though and never has been?

That is kind of tricky since no EML is displayed on your dash. Do you get any rough idle? It may be your Idle Air Control valve and it just needs a good cleaning. Is your performance affected in any way before the problem occurred? I experienced engine cut out even at 60mph. You may have already done it but visually check your TB and see if there is a build up of carbon deposits. Carb cleaner is very good. I did my mates Subaru, it was shocking. Unfortunately it's a matter of eliminating all these factors.

I hope this will help mate.

I think I might have this problem. I did fit a hybrid racing throttle body so expect it to be a little bit more jumpy. One day started it up and it was reving from 1000rpm to 3000rpm then back down. I had a look to see if any pipes etc loose but nothing looked out the ordinary. finally it just stopped doing it about an hour later, so its either something loose or tps sensor as far as i'm aware but its never done it again.

Last week started it up eml was on took the code down but reader being a scan guage its a weird code so reset it turned car back on and it didn't come back on and its been fine since, I was going to take it to garage that does my work If the light comes back on but I might just get this checked out.

Hi Howie

Good thinking checking your pipes. As mentioned to Lewis, check the TB for carbon build up, IACV and see how you get on with that :) Just out of curiosity how much mileage is on the car. My TPS was playing up at around 55k which was surprising. If it happens again get it looked at and see what comes up on the fault reader.

Thanks guys. My idle is fine, the car is fine at higher rpm and never cuts out, no issues other than slight hesitation when backing off the throttle to very slow speeds in traffic then when back on the throttle you notice the slight hesitation. Sometimes it's worse than others but not hugely noticeable normally. I am used to the car now though so notice it myself.

Hi Howie

Good thinking checking your pipes. As mentioned to Lewis, check the TB for carbon build up, IACV and see how you get on with that :) Just out of curiosity how much mileage is on the car. My TPS was playing up at around 55k which was surprising. If it happens again get it looked at and see what comes up on the fault reader.

Its sitting at 92k just now but never had any trouble apart from the times mentioned. hoping to get it checked this week got a few other things to get checked aswell that I think am just being paranoid about lol.

Thanks guys. My idle is fine, the car is fine at higher rpm and never cuts out, no issues other than slight hesitation when backing off the throttle to very slow speeds in traffic then when back on the throttle you notice the slight hesitation. Sometimes it's worse than others but not hugely noticeable normally. I am used to the car now though so notice it myself.

Noticed something very similar with mine. Was intermittent at low revs and seemed to happen more as you were either slowing right down in second and then gradually speeding up or slowly pulling away in first. Was absolutely find once past 2-2500-3000 rpm. As others have mentioned, I thought it may be the TPS but
I have just had a full service including new plugs and valve clearances adjusted and it is now fine.
Can't explain your lights pulsating though so there may be 2 issues?

I've fully serviced mine but not done the valve clearances. Sometimes it doesn't always hesitate either. It's random!

Mine was completely random too. Sometimes it didn't happen days on end. May be worth doing valve clearance just to rule them out

So how could the valve clearances cause the hesitation and how could it be intermittent if they were the cause of it as that's a mechanical issue rather than an electronic sensory issue if that makes sense?

I am not saying they would definitely be the cause but if they are due to be checked and adjusted it may be worth doing before carrying out further trouble shooting if you have already fully serviced and changed plugs, air filter etc.
Mine were due to be adjusted! When were yours last adjusted, are they due to be checked?
I think that there are a number of other external "variables" that can influence smooth running including air temperature, moisture in the air etc at the time which may cause it to be random when combined with valves that are either not opening fully or staying open too long?
Hopefully somebody may be able to offer better advice though as I am no expert by any means so can only advise what changes appeared to sort my hesitation issue out, which sounded exactly like yours. I trawled all of the forums and was convinced from reading various posts that it would be the TPS starting to go but decided to wait to see how if was after the service. It's been a few weeks now and have not noticed it since.

Back