• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What Oil You Using

I need to do an oil change and since owning the car its only had semi synth 10w 40. It seems fully synth 5w 40 is they way to go although that will also be used up alot quicker.

Anyway my mates are all saying go for Millers Oil Fully Synth 5w 40, whats everyone using on here?

I have used the following in the DC5.

1. Shell helix ultra 5W40.
  2. Millers 5W40
  3. Castrol Edge Sport Fully Synth 10W-60
  4. At the moment I am using Silkolene Pro S 5W40 :cool:

^^ I did before but he confuses me with all his technical jargon I was hoping you could explain in simple terms :lol: Im sure honda even suggest 15w 40

oil (again)

Hi,have you read the posts on millers oil??? honda have used 10w40 in all
their services on my ctr-either that or a lot of folks are using 5w40-both
are fine...not 15w40 for modern engines IMO

Using Mobil1 0w/40 here, the car feels alot smoother than whatever was in it before.

I swear the car is floating sometimes

Vtec feels strong, engine seems very happy with it

I`ll use Silkolene 5/40 next time, to see if I notice any difference, as this oil comes highly recommended

I'm using and will continue to use Silkolene Pro s 5w 40. Oilman recommended it so i'm happy to take his advise in combination with what other forum members use.

In basic form (just like me!!) the 5w means the oil works better at lower temperatures i.e. cold starts etc. (the lower the number the better it works from cold) and the 40 means something to do with the thickness at operating temp.

so 0w/40 works better from cold?

I think the first number is how thin the oil is when cold, so lower the number, the thinner the oil on startup, which is good for circulation

^^ Yup I agree after reading oilmans sticky so 5w 40 it is. Just need to choose between millers and silkolene now or maybe even fuchs

^^ Yup I agree after reading oilmans sticky so 5w 40 it is. Just need to choose between millers and silkolene now or maybe even fuchs

Silkolene is made by fuchs.

1146.jpg

Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Oil For High Performance Engines
Totally new ester based full synthetic motor oil created to meet the needs of the most discerning user.
Available in SAE 5W/40 and 10W/50 viscosity grades, PRO S 10W/50 is particularly recommended for use in warmer ambient temperatures.

PRO S is suitable for use in all modern cars and is particularly recommended for high performance engines. The full synthetic base fluid ensures that the products are thermally stable and extremely resistant to oxidation, even when stressed to the extremes of endurance.

The excellent overall performance profile ensures optimum protection even in the most demanding turbo-charged power units in modern performance cars. The discerning motorist may be confident that the products excel in all areas of performance and ensure maximum protection under all operating conditions.

My mate says the lower 0w 40 will heat up quicker but is thinner so im better going for the 10w 40 as I dont boot it until warmed up anyway and being thicker it will help protect the engine better :confused: just gets more confusing by the minute. Its 10w 40 semi synth the honda garage put in at my service last time round

Now looking to get some oil for my 1st Service on the FN2.

Most probably going to go for the Silk Pro S 5w40 as it was so good in my last EP3.
The price seems to have increased a lot since I last bought some, do up to £46 inc p&p with Oilman inc discount.
Looks like I missed his recent xmas offers, and my service is due the end of March so I can't wait much longer.

Back