• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What primer to use?

I've been refurbishing the wheels on my EP3 and I've had them primered in white/cream primer today, so that they can be sprayed silver tomorrow. But now I'm thinking of having them sprayed grey. Will I need to have them primered again in a different primer colour or can I just go ahead with spraying them grey on the white primer.

Thanks

When I sprayed my alloys, I had yellow primer and then a white primer because I ran out :lol:

They all turned out fine IMO.

20140508_143227_zps9btsxevv.jpg

20140508_215905_zpshaj0fi5i.jpg

Yep, just go ahead and paint them. Lots of thin coats and you will never know what colour the primer was. When I painted my wheels the primers were a mix of yellow and grey in a patchwork all over the wheels, a mix of normal and filler primer. The colour coat is smooth and shows no sign of different shades.

It doesn't matter what colour primer you use, it all does exactly the same and can be painted over with any colour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. The wheels haven't turned out great, that is due to my impatience. After it took me two days to sand down one wheel to perfection, I just could not be asked with the rest of them. My car has been stuck up on a ramp at work for a week and I just want it back now.

I had my colleague primer the wheels on Monday with the plan that I'd stay back after work so that I could wet sand them with 600/800 paper. Again my impatience got the better of me and I left it. Got them sprayed today and they should be dry and ready to go back on the car in the morning.

They look decent from a distance and up close they look good unless you focus on the little gaps and corners. I'm just going to buy a new set of rims, never going to attempt to refurbish wheels ever again

Oh yeah, they're an absolute cnut of a wheel to paint. I went through like two rattle cans of paint per wheel.

Back