• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What to get?

Just out of curiousity peeps why the advice to stick with OEM size? I am only assuming that thats the best size which is why it was designed as that... but maybe I am wrong?

Kev

have you had a chance to give us your review of the Proxy 4 yet?

I'm comtemplating getting these as i'm finding the T1R that i have is slipping and sliding and dont want to cause any damage in the coming winter months.

On another note- is it just me or has any others found the T1S better than the T1R ?? I dont recall wheel spinning with the T1S in the wet...... well, not as bad as what i've been experiencing with the T1Rs

Gary

Think i am gonna try the Bridgestone RE070 next, in 225/45/17. Anyone (FD2 owners??) got any experience?? :D

Kev

I'm comtemplating getting these as i'm finding the T1R that i have is slipping and sliding and dont want to cause any damage in the coming winter months.

On another note- is it just me or has any others found the T1S better than the T1R ?? I dont recall wheel spinning with the T1S in the wet...... well, not as bad as what i've been experiencing with the T1Rs

Gary

Ive been running T1-R for about a 6 weeks now, took about 2-3 weeks for them to break in but i havent had 1 mishap in them, sometimes spin abit when giving it beans between 2nd and 3rd but thats about it, no dramas at all, for the price and performance of them I will be getting them again and love them to bits;)
Good place for tyres, recommended by nickyboy and where i got mine from www.tyretraders.com before clicking on site, turn your volume up lol

Kev

Gary

Hello chap, sorry i've been meaning to write a little report and keep forgetting :oops: :oops:

As a whole i'm exceptionally pleased with the P4's. I had read a review from someone over on CTRO that they were a tad lethal until they had scrubbed in so took things very causiously for a bit and can confirm that until bedded in they can be a tad 'slippy'. I found it took them a good 400miles to bed in enough to feel confident enough to test them out and i've now done about 700 miles on them.

Due to the time of year we've had 'dry' days and the grip seems ok but not really what i would call a true 'dry' day so haven't tested their potential fully, however they show VERY encouraging signs given the amount of grip so far, I've found them to have in damp, cold and wet conditions. Coming off an open roundabout the other night it the wet (it had been raining all day) i gave it some beans in 2nd and she didn't slip/slide or lose grip at all :smt023 :smt023 . On a slighly less open and tighter roundabout with my new found confidence, although i didn't give it as much as the previous attempt i still gave it more than you probably should have, they held on but i was on the edge of their limits - you could feel they wanted to let go but didn't - and got me safely round the roundabout.

The one thing even a novice like me can tell though is that the side wall is undoubtably softer than the Pots, in the reviews i found i read that the side wall was not quite as stiff as the Pots but wasn't far off. I would say that's not quite true as there is a distinct difference which can be told from the feel you get when driving 'normally' (it's hard to explain but they just 'feel' different).

The softer side wall could and probably is the cause of my one and only gripe.................understeer.............it's not all the time, and is not too bad when i occurs so i've not found it to be a massive problem but i have found them to on occassions and more so on corners where you dont expect them to, cause a little understeer (before anyone comments i was not driving like a Cee U Next Tuesday), as mentioned nothing major but it's there.

In summary a conclusion -
Pro's
- They look good
- Have a nice tread pattern
- Grip well in wet
- They will grip very well in the dry (I'm sure of this given their performance so far as best i can test given the time of year)
- Priced competitavely (sp?)
- Road noise is reduced over Pots
- Don't seem to 'spin up' that easliy when leaving the lights in a hurry ;)

Con's
- Some understeer (as i say it's not often but it's defo there on occassions)
- Softer side wall

Would i have them again, Yes i think i would unless something better comes along.

I'm not very good at these things so hope the little review above is of help, if you have any question feel free to ask...................bloody hell i sound like a school teacher!!!!!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Kev

I know you only paid £70.50 a corner for the tyres but how much did you get charged for fitting etc?

Just called my local tyre place and they can do me the PX4 in 215/40/17 for £304 fitted for the four ie works out to be £76 a corner fitted which isnt too bad.

i couldnt be bothered to ask for OEM size :oops: but guess its more expensive.

Gary

Kev

I know you only paid £70.50 a corner for the tyres but how much did you get charged for fitting etc?

Just called my local tyre place and they can do me the PX4 in 215/40/17 for £304 fitted for the four ie works out to be £76 a corner fitted which isnt too bad.

i couldnt be bothered to ask for OEM size :oops: but guess its more expensive.

Gary

Sorry for the delay fella, been a bit busy and not had chance to jump on the forum. I'm lucky as my mate works for the local constabulary (sp?) in their workshops as a mechanic so he fitted the for me for free.........well i say for free, it actually cost me some booze ;) :D.

cheers Kev

i'll be getting the 215/40 fitted for £300 so i'm happy with that.

Not getting them until another month or so as i'm skint :oops: but theres still enough rubber left lol

Back