• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

what to look for when viewing an EP3 ?

hi all , over the next week ill be looking at a fair few civics as im after one....
but what are the main good/bad things i should be looking for when going to view them?

Apart from the obvious things to look for in a used car(accident damage/abuse) the Civics steering rack will be the most costly fault to fix if its gone and out of warranty.

hi all , over the next week ill be looking at a fair few civics as im after one....
but what are the main good/bad things i should be looking for when going to view them?

The most important thing you can look for is to ensure the car you buy has had regular oil changes in line with the service manual (so every 12months or 12,500miles).

The engines are normally damn near bullet proof unless they're supercharged. Don't be put off by things like sports exhausts and air filters as hoards of people use them with no ill effects at all, just ensure you have either the original parts or the car has a cat fitted so you can pass an MOT with it.

You don't really need to worry about if it's being driven hard too much as every type R is driven reasonably hard, that is exactly what the car is about.

Engine mounts are prone to snapping too... If that happens then the engine rocks backeards and forwards slightly (I have an 04 plate EP3, driven by a complete cock before I got it... Sore point :mad: ..)

I've just had mine patched up until I get a new mount... Cost me £20 or so for the inserts and it's around £85 for a new mount.

I think the posts here have covered a lot... Most importantly (after the normal used car checks) make sure that you feel good when sat in the car, if you get that and you like the drive, then it's happy motoring.

Probably worth keeping an eye on the Cars For Sale thread on here too... Just for the love of god, don't get one from a main dealer.... Unless they'll throw in a free moon... it's not worth the price hike.

Thanks for the repiles guys it really helped me, i did eventully manage to get hold of a nice Civic, the guy had really looked after it... im so happy with it, so much so i cant stay out of it :)

Back