• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

What will give me better gains?

Going to get a k100 remap done to my EP3 at some point soon. To get the most out of the remap, what would give me better gains, an un-silenced mid pipe with OEM back box or a DC sports cat back exhaust system?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cat back with silenced centre section? There won't be much in it, I would say the catback would just about win out. I'd still go for the b-pipe and OEM back box though. OEM just looks right IMO.

Cat-backs are rarely the source of any power TBH - especially on a K20 with just an intake (going by your signature). If a good mapper improves the power out-put of your car, don't be fooled into thinking it was the cat-backs amazingness. The engine tolerances/maps are safe from the factory - most run quite rich. A stock K20 (no mods at all) leaned out/tuned/mapped/adjusted should make more power than the state it left the production line in. A race-header is where you should see the power and the torque.

Sun (typeRiter) is spot on. The K20 starts seeing power when mapped correctly. It will only be a small amount but it will be there. Headers and de-cats are a good place to start looking, a K100 or KPro is essential with these to get the most out of the system. A good centre section and free flowing back box will help and a good Cold Air Intake system like the AEM or Gruppe M will also help. Bigger throttle bodies and intake manifolds will help feed the engine more efficiently, and possibly an updated set of injectors and a fuel rail will help the fuel duties to be handled better.

Back