• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whats best for masive power gains

hi all i am thinking about getting a civic ep3 type r,

but i wanted to know is there any more mods that can be done apart from exhaust and air intakes that make a differance like cams ect

i am looking for bhp ov around 240-250 if posable?

ok mate no problems,

the only reason i was asking is because people say that because the type r is so tuned from the factory it makes it harder to get more power,

but i take it the ctr is like other cars in that better throttle bodes, cam and pistons ect are around for this car

The k20 in the ep3 is actually one of the more easily tuneable honda engines, there's many guys on here that are running roundabout 240bhp in their ep3's. If I want that power in my b18 for example, I have to chuck MEGA amounts of cash at it :lol:

edit:
but i take it the ctr is like other cars in that better throttle bodes, cam and pistons ect are around for this car
Don't you worry about finding aftermarket honda parts :lol: You will be spoiled for choice :)

Also, use the search bar at the top left as you will find a wealth of info already on here because most of this has been asked before :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i see i take it on this forum there is a buyers guide on here some were,

Yea that web page is good i very much so like the intake cams :)

I can all ready see me spending much £££ on this

Your best bet, as far as I know if you want big power, is a supercharger or turbo. As far as the cost goes I'm not sure how much it will set you back though and either will probably only get you to around the 300bhp figure as I understand it. Sorry to be vauge but I'm pretty new to all this myself and have told you as much as I know at the moment :D

I think Jermals suggestion of going for something that already has forced induction is the best bet if you want massive power.

The problem with running FI through a K20 block is that they don't like excessive heat, which you naturally get with FI. saying that, plenty of people run super chargers/turbos in EP3's with the first being the more popular and probably safer route.

Expect to pay upwards of 2 grand for a FI set up. Of course you'll then have to upgrade you brakes and body ridigity to handle the increase in power which is more money spent. It wouldn't be unusual to spend anywhere upto and above 5k for your car to be FI with supporting mods. Factor that into the cost of the car from the outset and you're probably better off getting an Evo or something like that.

yea i all ready own an evo, but just fancied a change

The CTR is a capable car don't get me wrong, but I think you'd be disappointed with it coming from an evo.

The main plus points the CTR has over cars with boost is that it's cheaper to run and if maintained well, far more reliable.

I've spent plenty of monies on mine and I bought all my parts second hand (cost me over £2000 and I'm running 240+ bhp N/A).

If you want big power you'll have to go FI (as mentioned above).

Air box - £300
Exhaust Header - £400
Exhaust & B Pipe - £400
RBC Inlet manifold - £250
Hondata Ecu and mapping - £777

240-2540bhp = Approx 2 and a half G

Times that by 10 if you're a HypeBaller

Cost of just turbo'ing a EP3. With no attention paid to exhausts/brakes etc;

Kpro = £700
Turbo kit (rev-hard/CPL kit) second hand = £1500-2000
Injectors 650cc or more = £200
Paying for fitting = circa £800-1000
Full mapping session = £350ish.

Obviously you would look at getting a decent free flowing exhaust, tag another £300-700 to the price, brakes would need attention really too so add anything from £150-2000. Then look at gauges to monitor oil temp/boost/etc £300. You would also want to sort out a new clutch/flywheel/dif to make the most out of the above, circa £2000 for that... However you would then be running 350bhp ish.

Then new pants. £10.

Do you mean cars that come from the factory as NA but then have boost bolted on later?

There's no reason why a well maintained FI car, that was designed with boost in mind, should be any less reliable than a CTR.

No I mean in standard guise, an EP3 is likely to cause you less problems than say an Evo or Scooby. The K20 would laugh its way through a bad day in Baghdad.

Back