• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whats the best Coilovers for Ep3 Type R Mainly road driven not tack?

Hi,
Looking to spend under £800 on a set of coil overs for my ep3 type r at the minute im looking between these 3 below but i don't really know anything about coil overs as ive never had them on any of my cars so im really after advice if anyone who's had any of these on their cars or knows any useful advice for me. Cheers

http://www.meisterr.co.uk/vehicles/honda/honda-civic-ep3/ (looking at the zeta-r)

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select...n/yellow-speed-honda-civic-ep3-coilovers.html

http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select...-pro-s-ii-coilovers-01-05-honda-civic-ep.html (these are abit over my budget but if they was superior to the other 2 i could stretch)

I used to run Zeta-R. Good for the value and a good range of dampening adjustment. Allowing some comfort for road and adjustability to stiffen up for the road.
The lower end Bilstein are good. But they're limited on adjustment. At £800 they won't have damper adjustability. They also use the standard top mounts limiting camber adjustment. The strut assembly design limits ride height and adjusting ride height also changes the spring tension making it difficult if you wish to change the ride height at any time. On the MeisterR and Yellowspeed you can adjust the strut length without affecting the spring rate making it easier.
I now use MeisterR GT1 coilovers. Fantastic bit of kit and their customer service is brilliant. Any problems or issues they're just a PM or email away and they'll respond fairly quick.

The problem with Meister R and Yellow Speed is that they're made in Taiwan or wherever at a budget of less than £45 a corner. £800 Bilstein's will be closer to £150 a corner.

The problem with Meister R and Yellow Speed is that they're made in Taiwan or wherever at a budget of less than £45 a corner. £800 Bilstein's will be closer to £150 a corner.

I'm not knocking Meister, Yellowspeed etc, but the Bilstein's really are the best coilovers I've had the pleasure of using/riding on. I've used Meister, BC, Cusco, Tein in the past, although they are good for the money (except Cusco, very stiff designed for Japanese roads).

You get what you pay for at the end of the day, and it depends what you want out of a coilover setup, are you looking for lows? Handling? Comfort? Adjustability?

I use the Bilstein B16 coilovers (fully adjustable), and like Lewis has pointed out, yes they do have their downside's, but their only cons depending on the application you're using them for.

There is an element of truth in this. But majority of products are built somewhere in Asia for a few pennies and sold as a massive premium. The damper itself on the Bilstein is better quality. But enough to really matter? Depends on your application I suppose. Bilstein is probably a better all rounder. But if you want a mega low ride, or add some serious negative camber on the front for track then MeisterR/Yellowspeed will suit better.
I'd recommend the MeisterR GT1's all day. Double the price of their Zeta-R but a damper that's hand built here in the UK that will rival the Ohlins DFV's.

Double the price of their Zeta-R but a damper that's hand built here in the UK that will rival the Ohlins DFV's.
Sorry but I call BS. :lol:

Bilstein are built in Germany and are TUV approved for one, so will be correctly dust sealed and not fall to bits in UK winters.

There's a motorsport chap on S2KI that knows an awful lot about suspension and he's stripped down several Meister R and Yellow Speed etc and doesn't have many great things to say about them. Some of his comments comments on Yellow Speed:

Well, they're getting good reviews from some - but I'm gonna jump to the other side - I took a kit apart a mate of mine bought at Autosport this year, and the internals weren't impressive both design and quality wise, so I hope they've changed since then, the piston finish was *****, the wear bands aren't energised, there were burrs on the valve shims and the semi-synth oil was nothing special either - rather thick to compensate for the internal tolerances at a guess.
He was happy with them on the car at the time - maybe they've just got the right valving out of the box - but in pure quality terms they were not really any better than KYB/GAZ/Koni, etc, same straight cut* needles for the adjusters with hysteresis issues and no temperature compensation, double whammy with the cheap oil there tbh.
I will say over the Koni/Gaz, etc, offerings the plating and finish on both the shafts and the bodys is pretty damned good though.

There's also a rather amusing thread on there about Meister R vs Bilsteins.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1130293-meisterr-auto-solo-result-after-suspension-swap/

End of the day if you want a proper opinion, just ring someone that knows about racing cars and suspension such as Tom at TGM. Ask him about the brands mentioned in this thread and what he thinks. He's no allegiance to any manufacturer, he make less money selling Ohlins than he would selling some Taiwanese suspension mentioned in here. :idea:

+1 for asking Tom. He prepped my car for this weekend and it was amazing. Gonna be speaking to him soon about how to progress the car and coilovers well be mentioned.

The Eibach coilovers are made by KW. Full stainless bodies and plastic coated collars etc. No damper adjustment but fantastic straight out of the box. Decent dampers and springs or the Eibach coilovers would make a nice handling road car. IMHO obviously.

I do, yes mate.

I honestly wasn't angling for a sale though, it is just based on experience of fitting and driving cars with them on.

Stevie

I do, yes mate.

I honestly wasn't angling for a sale though, it is just based on experience of fitting and driving cars with them on.

Stevie
I have been looking at options myself, but didn't see them on your site.

What price are they for the ep3

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I have Meister r for a weekend type r that does track days and can't fault them !

You do need the tegiwa rack raiser and track rods with adjustable longer thread mind.

When you lower more then 30mm the track rods sit at a severe angle ? I wouldn't see how this would be different for any coilovers kit and I haven't seen anything stating yellowspeed have resolved this issue with their sets ?

How far are you lowered?

I only have the miester r set at 40mm. I mainly got them just in case and the adjustment on the standard rods wasn't enough to get the alignment correct.

Not doubting you just wondering. I'd be interested in yellowspeed next time if they have resolved these issues.

Also 6two1 seem decent from the few reviews I've seen :)

Meister R and YellowSpeed are likely made in the same factory, just a different skin put on them. Changing from one to the other would be pointless?

Back