• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whats the difference between a EK9 Type R and a Vti??

A mate of mine is looking to buy a Vti but wants to know the difference between the Type R (EK9) and the Vti.

power difference, handling, comfort, seats ect ect.....

Tell your friend to reserch on the world wide web and he will find everything he needs.

power difference, handling, comfort, seats ect ect.....

Tell your friend to reserch on the world wide web and he will find everything he needs.

Really???!! :smt047

I told him id ask you guys/girls as some of you might be owners or have had both and you could tell me your opinions too!

Is that it? I would of thought that they were completely different engines etc.. ?:(

They are totally different engines. The VTI has a 1.6 Dohc with 157bhp and 151nm of torque and the car weighs a total of 1260kg. The EK9 has 185bhp and 157 nm of torque and only weighs 1060kg. Thats just the power side of things.

In terms of chassis difference the main points are

Seam welded chassis
Stiffening brace under the chassis near the rear ARB
Stiffening bars behind the bumpers
A 22mm Rear ARB vs a 13mm on EK4
Better Shocks and springs
Limited Slip Differential
Lighter windscreen

This leads to a 0-60 time that is over 1 second quicker than than the VTI This also doesn't take into account that you can apparently get EK9's with the B18c engine in which is a whole different kettle of fish :)

P.s. I borrowed this info from ek9.org :)

They are totally different engines. The VTI has a 1.6 Dohc with 157bhp and 151nm of torque and the car weighs a total of 1260kg. The EK9 has 185bhp and 157 nm of torque and only weighs 1060kg. Thats just the power side of things.

In terms of chassis difference the main points are

Seam welded chassis
Stiffening brace under the chassis near the rear ARB
Stiffening bars behind the bumpers
A 22mm Rear ARB vs a 13mm on EK4
Better Shocks and springs
Limited Slip Differential
Lighter windscreen

This leads to a 0-60 time that is over 1 second quicker than than the VTI This also doesn't take into account that you can apparently get EK9's with the B18c engine in which is a whole different kettle of fish :)

Cheers mate thats all i needed to know :D

Slight correction - the B16B (EK9 engine) is 185ps, so it's 182bhp.

The engine in the VTi is the B16A2 by the way.

The EK9 only came with a 1.6 engine in (b16b), but alot of people stroke it to a 1.8 which is basically the same as a b18c or just do a b18c swap.

Basically, VTi and EK9 are two different cars ;)

For the ££'s difference unless someone was adamant on getting an EK9 then I wouldn't bother. They are great, but if someone doesn't even know the difference then get an siR or a plain old VTi.

Back