• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Which lightweight Honda shell for a k-swap?

As title really

I'd love a K20 CRX, but it's an expensive conversion on an expensive base car

Would any of the older Civics be as light? Ideally I'd like something down at about 8-900kg

Cheers

Won't be a popular choice but the Del Sol is probably the cheapest/lightest option.

EG is my favourite shape civic, I think they have aged extremely well and still look really nice today. Marlin Blue FTW.

As Hazz said, EG or an EK, you can get those down to seriously low weights, both are pretty much the same cost to convert. Dont buy an EJ like I did, you need to convert the rear running gear too.

I have seen a K-swapped Del Sol, it was known as Project Death after a massive weight loss left it flimsy. That was running a massive turbo too.

I dream about putting a K20 into a 1st gen, chuffing expensive though. A Del Sol would be quite straightforward, it's been done lots of times, I think Hybrid Racing actually sell a conversion kit.

If it were me, I'd go classic, do something rare. What are you building it for, track or just for the fun of it?

Just a thought:

imagejpg1_zps39a66865.jpg

I basically want to go as fast as possible, it's all about lap times for me. Don't care what colour it is or what it looks like (as long as it's an actual car, not a single seater type thing!)

Personally, for a track car k swap I'd go with a dc2 or ek9. Compared to the older models, the newer chassis will make up for the weight.
I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but I'd go for an ep3 or dc5 for quick lap times.

EG for me. Love them. Aged well. One of the lads at TDi North has done one and its savage.

Personally, money no object, K20 in a MK1 Golf for me.

I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but I'd go for an ep3 or dc5 for quick lap times.

I see where you're coming from, they are tremendously good chassis

I was just assuming you could get something older a fair bit lighter, which would make the difference

Plus I'd feel a right tit selling off all my EP3 track stuff and then buying it all new again!

EG or EK, you can get those down to about 850kgs without drilling holes in the chassis IIRC. Plus the Kswap bits like the engine mounts, Driveshafts and Loom adapters can be bought off ebay. When I looked into it, taking away the car and the motor, the bits you would need came to about £1200 new, Im sure if your patient enough and trolled the forums you could pick it all up cheaper, but that could take a while.

I'd feel a right tit selling off all my EP3 track stuff and then buying it all new again!

Yep, I didn't want to say it....

Honestly, I love my EP, but I'd swap it for the chance to k-swap an EK/DC in a heartbeat. I have a thing for old school cars, but for a track monster I think the newer chassis will give far more driving pleasure with MUCH less time and effort. Having said that, the process of tuning and modifying is very satisfying, so an older car will certainly provide that.

Really it depends on the time and money that you want to commit to the project. If you just want to go fast as soon as possible then go with a newer chassis, if you have time and money to burn then go old school and create something really special.

Back