• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whirling Sound From Engine?

BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Under no circumstances put wd40 on drive belts, I nearly feinted reading that!

It's like greasing a bearing with sand.

Why?? :?

Drive belts are of rubberised and or nylon construction and rely on surface contact (friction) so as not to slip. Any lubricant will interfere with such surface friction. Also, oils rot rubbers and nylons.

Most whirring noises are due to damp which quickly disappear when warmed up. Some are due to worn belts and bearings.

WD40 gets rid of damp. It worked on mine when it was whining at tickover, one quick squirt and it went. That was about 20k miles ago and its been fine since. :eek:

A teeny weeny squirt won't cause problems but WD40 is oil based (obviously :!: ) and it displaces water because of that quality. Over time, it will cause slipping and shorten belt life.

Still, seems to have been ok in your case - just wouldn't do it regularly :wink:

IMO to cause problems you'd have to regularlary (sp? :lol: ) oil it, like weekly or something.... a bit of WD if it starts to whine won't do any harm, its probably all gone within 500 miles...

OK then, I made it up for a laugh.

:?: :?: :?

This is not a dig or pop at anything Bigred posted but I remember a guy from Halfrauds telling my Mum that the way to cure her squeaking brakes on her mountain bike was to put a dab of grease on the rims :!: :shock:

Nick

Morty1970 said:
This is not a dig or pop at anything Bigred posted but I remember a guy from Halfrauds telling my Mum that the way to cure her squeaking brakes on her mountain bike was to put a dab of grease on the rims :!: :shock:

Nick

No probs mate, you don't have to have the brains of a rocket scientist to relise that Mr Halfrauds provided full on biff advice.

Each to their own but in the time (long time) :oops: I've been in engineering, it's never been deemed sound advice to grease/oil or lube things that explicitly rely on friction.

Think contaminated clutch (friction) linings, i.e contaminated usually by oil.

big red is 100% correct guys, think about it, or better yet go put some copper slip on your brake discs that will stop them squeeking to, although you wont hear it over your screems as you have no breaks!
A belt needs friction the whining noise is un believably common on all cars in fact i just tightened up my spare civic as it was getting on my nerves everytime i turned on the head lights.
Also wd40 on the belt will solve the problem if the belt is too tight, so over time when your belt stretches that helpful money saving tip will cause you to have no charge in the morning as all the time you were driving the belt was slipping due to wd40!
Try it your self get a bit of solid rubber leave it in lubricant over night come back and youll be able to peal it off
BAD ADVICE DO NOT SPRAY WD 40 ON ANY BELT just simply adjust the tension untill it goes or spray the back of the pulley not the belt!

itrhondaboy said:
or better yet go put some copper slip on your brake discs that will stop them squeeking to, although you wont hear it over your screems as you have no breaks!
:lol: :lol:

Ralphy said:
Took it to the stealers today, the technician said he can clearly hear the whine from the engine too.

Car is booked in to be looked at for 2 days. Alternator pulley he reckons?

Ralphy,

did you get this sorted??? I'm starting to have a similar problem.
Get a whine when increasing the throttle in/out of gear and engine both cold/warm.

Mine was fixed today 8)

Turned out to be bearing in the Aux Belt Top Idle Pulley.

Pulley replaced and no more whining, and all done under warranty.

Mine was fixed today 8)

Turned out to be bearing in the Aux Belt Top Idle Pulley.

Pulley replaced and no more whining, and all done under warranty.

Did it sound like this?

[video=youtube;gUiv10ZQZsg]old link autoupdated[/video]

Thanks.

Back