• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

who knows about car electrics?

i put this sub and amp in my car and bodged it big time.

now when i have my lights on and turn indicator on the fog lights flash and other erronious stuff happens.

have i busted a relay, how do i check if they're faulty???

i probably drilled through a load of electrics now the inside of my arch looks like a block of jarlsberg.

Could be a dodgy earth. Try disconnecting the power for the amp at the earth and the inline fuse for the amp and see what happens.

yo funky i unplugged:

all the wires going into the amp, all the leads coming out of the head unit to the amp and its still whacked.

oh yeah and i took the fuse out the thing by the battery.

Is it an active sub (own amp)?

check all the earth connections - if you're doing wierd stuff with the sub, based around the earth connection for the rear lights, then you could cause a few "flashing light effects" there.

its a sub and seperate amp.

im going to go out and remove the earth wire in the boot i bet thats doing it brb.

rossy t said:
yo funky i unplugged:

all the wires going into the amp, all the leads coming out of the head unit to the amp and its still whacked.

oh yeah and i took the fuse out the thing by the battery.

Missed that while I was posting :)

Sounds like you need to hunt for any other electrical connections you might have "cut" or "upset" when doing the install.

XmasTree.gif

you know what now i come to think of it when i bought this one the lights inside the cabin were a bit odd. like when you'd switch the main lights on the wheely thing lights would go out. its still a bit shagged but a bit better.

funky i think its back to how it was, not 100% but before i started dicking around today.

i was earthing the amp on this screw on the rear slam panel with what i guessed and looks like an earth point so whacked it on there. then i didnt have crimpers so i was using these plyers and 100,000,000 ft/lb of torque to bend the metal things that connect to the amp - clearly not well enough. then on the head unit side of things i used some sellotape to stick the amplifier remote lead into the iso block becuase i have no idea how one is meant to correctly attach two wires together.

the fog lights still flash when i indicate with lights on but at one point i was getting indicators at triple speed which makes u look like a proper pikey.

rossy t said:
funky i think its back to how it was, not 100% but before i started dicking around today.

i was earthing the amp on this screw on the rear slam panel with what i guessed and looks like an earth point so whacked it on there. then i didnt have crimpers so i was using these plyers and 100,000,000 ft/lb of torque to bend the metal things that connect to the amp - clearly not well enough. then on the head unit side of things i used some sellotape to stick the amplifier remote lead into the iso block becuase i have no idea how one is meant to correctly attach two wires together.

the fog lights still flash when i indicate with lights on but at one point i was getting indicators at triple speed which makes u look like a proper pikey.

LMAO :lol: :lol:

1) what are crimpers, people keep talking about these, are they the things that mean you can squeeze the metal fork things onto the wires properly.

2) how do i put the remote lead into the head unit. do i connect it right into the back of the head unit, or into the iso block bit. and whats the correct way to attach the wire?

thanks.

The trouble you have with the lights flashing when you indicate and fast indicators sounds like an earth problem. Nothing serious, one of the earths in the car probably just needs cleaning up.

To attach wires together and to put crimps onto wires you need something like THIS

To attach the remote wire from the amp to the headunit you can either connect it to the ISO unit or direct to the headunit it wont make any difference.

Bodging electrical connections with selotape is going to end up giving you more problems, do it right the first time and save yourself the head ache :wink:

If you get stuck just post up or PM me

Now that the emergency is less urgent I will throw this into the relevant section Ross. :lol:

Back