• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Windscreen crack. Grrr!

Bummer.

I've had a few cracked windscreens over the years (the joys of living in the countryside mean it's as likely to be a pheasant or a deer as much as a stone) but usually there's a noticeable impact when it happens. This just seemed to crack. To be fair, there is what looks like an impact mark low down on the front right but it's actually lower than the surrounding bodywork. Hey ho.. the joys of motoring.

IQJ6nD9.jpg

znnxmXD.jpg

Should do heated windscreens. And ideally have it done at a dealer so they recalibrate the sensing unit too.

I did phone the dealer to see whether they fitted a replacement and they said to bring it in and they would look at it and see it there is any chance there's a manufacturing defect. It's never going to happen but worth a try I guess. Autoglass said I have to take it to one of their depots to get a replacement fitted so they can recalibrate the rain sensor. Nearest one is 50 miles away. All a bit of a faff.

Not having Honda etched on the screen would niggle my OCD :lol:
How much do Honda charge for a new screen?

Ooooh. I have huge OCD issues as well. Didn't realise it had Honda etched on it.
Now, what have you started :)

I'll ask tomorrow. My windscreen excess is £95 so I guess it will be a bit more than that.

I'm sure you are entitled to insist on a manufacturer branded windscreen from your insurance.
I have seen this subject crop up a few times because places like Autoglass tend not to fit OEM windscreens, but can order them as long as your insurance will pay the extra.
What the actual difference is in the glass(if any) I do not know.

I'm sure you are entitled to insist on a manufacturer branded windscreen from your insurance.
I have seen this subject crop up a few times because places like Autoglass tend not to fit OEM windscreens, but can order them as long as your insurance will pay the extra.
What the actual difference is in the glass(if any) I do not know.

Replace it with perspex its lighter.

On a serious note, I hadn't thought about the sensors behind the glass in the event of a new screen. I would definitely want it done by Honda.

Interestingly (or not) ... after a visit to the dealer yesterday it seems "Honda" have any windscreens needing replaced using... Autoglass.
Autoglass is the installation company my insurers use so that's handy, apart from the £95 excess.

Also, because of the rain sensing stuff for the wipers and all the funky camera gizmos on the screen it means that I have to take the car to an Autoglass main depot to have it fitted so they can recalibrate all the bits rather than having a man-in-a-van come to me. That's a bit less handy since the nearest one is 50 miles away but is understandable.

Cars!! Pah!!

Just going back to a point mentioned earlier.....when you get your replacement glass have a look at the right hand corner and see if it has the Honda "H" logo etched onto it directly above Pilkington.
It should be Pilkington glass.

Out of curiosity I went on Autoglass website and done a test booking to have my cracked windscreen replaced and they never said anything about having to take my car to one of their fitting centres, which I would have expected like you said.
Here is what they said...

"Your replacement will take around 90 minutes - this includes 30 minutes drying time.
We can visit you in the morning, afternoon or evening at your preferred location"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's at the point when you speak to a real person that you get told about having to get things recalibrated and that can only happen at their centre.
To be fair to Autoglass, they've been really helpful and on the ball and would have fitted it at the local dealer for me if they could have.

my brother works for Belron, I can confirm they spend a lot of time training their staff on all of the autonomous gadgets and widgets cars have these days. often car manufacturers invite their technical trainers along to the factory as part of the training / induction into new models and they have a handful of staff trained at each depot who are skilled/trained-up to replace screens and recalibrate the radar sensors and sonar that a lot of cars have these days.

I've even used Autoglass to replace the screen on my elise which is a bonded unit and needed part of the clam loosening off and refitting as part of the process. top job (although I was watching like a hawk and helping with all the shims the clam had to ensure they were replaced and everything lined up).

Just to round this off.
I took the car to the Autoglass Centre this morning to have the windscreen replaced and collected it again in the afternoon.
The replacement is a proper Honda part with all the markings of the original, including the H.
It also came with a calibration certificate for all the gizmos and the fit and finish appears perfect and as-new.
£95 excess isn't too bad either I suppose.

Back