• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Winter (and snow) driving opinions

Good morning
This is my first post here, so hello also!

I’m swithering over the purchase of a new Type R to use every day: rain, hail or shine.
I test drove a couple of weeks ago, deliberately choosing a day that was wet and, well, Scottish. I was very impressed with how the car handles without compromising every day usability.

And then it snowed this week.
I’ve tried to research it’s winter credentials on the net (eg FlyinGato) but have concluded that first hand, local, experience counts for so much more. So....

How have FK8 owners dealt with the recent snow?
Do a set of winter tyres give 100% confidence?

Here’s the kicker though: my current car is a Golf R and, to be honest, the comfort blanket of all wheel drive is hard to give up.

Has anyone else made a similar switch and survived the crappy Scottish Winter?
Any other winter driving thoughts?

Thanks
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using winter tyres on your Golf? If not then the effort of turning and stopping in the CTR will be exactly the same for you. Plus there are loads of videos on the net showing how a fwd or rwd car on winters will out perform a 4wd car on a slope in snow for example.

I personally had winters on my FK2. Performed great and no issues, but you still drive to the conditions and don't push on even on winters. The only thing I would think to be wary of is the front splitter in deep snow, as anything taller than a kerb would get caught.

I have run winters on various cars for the last 5-6yrs - all 2wd, some FWD (Abarth 500), some RWD (BMW 335D, Merc C350e). They work very effectively in standing water, slush and snow and will be far better than a 4wd car on summers. I took the 335D to the alps and never struggled even when the fresh snow was rubbing the underside of the car.

For the FK8 Type R you will need a second set of alloys for the winters unless you fancy paying c£500 per corner for the tyres....when i looked only Pirelli seem to have a 245/30 R20 option (Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3) and tbh they probably wouldn't be that great as they are so wide.

I was looking at FK2 alloys to stay OEM as there are more tyre options at 19" but haven't done anything yet.

I remember a Norwegian member on civinfo saying over there they have a saying "winters first 4x4 second"
Not much help but it matches what loxy is saying

I am from the tropical south so slightly different, but we have had freaking cold weather of late and as I am keeping it standard 20's and standard tyres it has been like Torville and Dean out there. No traction off the lights with half throttle pull aways, lot of slip and slide on round abouts, but its controllable, rarely scary, and as Loxy said you just need to dial it down completely and accept that Oct to March 316 through the fronts will do this. Whacking it in comfort helps actually with the less aggressive throttle map...

Thanks for your replies. All very helpful.

I’m running a fresh set of Michelin PS4s on the Golf currently, but have used Winter wheel/tyre sets previously on a Saab Turbo X and a GT-R so am aware of the difference these can make. My main reason for asking here was to establish whether winters are effectively compulsory for the Type R. Partly because, just before my test drive, the dealer made a point of emphasising that the standard tyres are not best suited for even wet use. Not sure if this was a tactic to encourage me to rein in my enthusiasm on the test drive or a genuine observation along the lines of “this should be considered a fair weather car”. Hence my curiosity around how the standard set up fared in inclement weather.

In short I think the collective wisdom of this forum is:
Wet weather should be ok, but respect the laws of physics.
Cold or snowy = get a set of winters

Thanks
N.

PS
What’s the cost of a set of new FK2 wheels without rubber?
:)

I mainly left it on the drive when there was snow so can't comment on its snow ability but it won't be good with 245 section summer tyres.

FK2 alloys are £1400 here http://www.tegiwaimports.com/select-car/honda/fk2/wheels.html

So new FK2 alloys + winters will be cheaper than the £500ea 20" pirelli option. At the moment it is still too much for what is effectively a 2nd car for us. I have also found the standard tyres to be fine in the wet and temperatures say above 5c as long as you are sensible.

I bought Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in 18x8 ET45, worked a treat on the FK2. I think that worked out at just shy of £1,300 including tyres.

IMAG3703.jpg

IMAG3701.jpg

FB_IMG_1451564225301.jpg

They look great, Loxy.
If I go ahead with this purchase they’ll certainly be a contender - likely to come down to insurance company awkwardness re aftermarket versus official Honda wheels.

Again, thanks for everyone’s input.
N.

I bought Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s in 18x8 ET45, worked a treat on the FK2. I think that worked out at just shy of £1,300 including tyres.

IMAG3703.jpg

IMAG3701.jpg

FB_IMG_1451564225301.jpg

That's the way to go IMO.
Looks good and better selection of reasonably priced tyres in 225 40 18.

If relevant,I can tell you that daughter has a Audi TTS with 245 35 19 tyres standard and Audi's approved winter fitment is also to go down two inches on rim diameter with a narrower width...to 225 50 17.
Do Honda have any such official winter wheel and tyre spec for FK2 or FK8?

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave mine in the garage, at 2k for tyres or and wheels, it would be cheaper to buy a crap car just for those days, insure and fit winter tyres, which is what I have, a lovely my97 Civic with 160k on the clock! Cost less than 1k all in.

Nice..! My Girlfriend comes from Estonia....been to Tallinn a few times and maaaaan, its cold in winter. Its the law to change to winter tyres I understand.

I liked the offer of a 'Winter Wheel Hotel'.....all tucked up snug with access to the bar, restaurant and spa facilities over the summer period...

Thanks again for everyone’s input.
I’ve ordered a Black GT for 1st March delivery - the dealer (Nick at Perth Honda) threw in a set of FK2 Cobra alloys for which I’m paying for rubber. Seems a decent deal, so I’m happy.

It’s booked into a local detailer for Xpel PPF on front, roof, and side high impact areas so I’m hoping not to have to worry too much about using it every day. Rain, hail, snow or shine.

I’ve not owned a Honda for a while (an S2000 GT100) so I’m looking forward to returning to the fold.

Neil.

Whaaaaat? Is this dealer also your brother....or best man? Cracking deal seeing as they are £600 aren't they new....

Back