• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Winter Tyres

So I need two new front tyres, but obviously I don't want to put on new tyres for a month and then fork out again for winter tyres ... Is it too early to put winter tyres on now? Is it a good idea to wear the winter tyres in a wee bit before actual winter hits??

Can anyone advise a good winter tyre to use?

It is the EP3 model I have.

Winter tyres are only really worth it when the temp drops below 7degrees C IIRC, I don't think they need scrubbing in, but tbh you're not going to be driving on ice and snow constantly so they will get some wear on them anyway.

Tyres don't tend to suit one car more than another, it's personal preference. But I'd say you're best bet is to buy a half decent tyre, just like you would at any other time of the year. Go and speak to your local tyre fitting place and see what they have on offer.

I've just bought some Dunlop WinterSport 4Ds and a spare set of alloys for the Scooby.

They won't be going on for a month or so, basically when the gritters start coming out.

Like Danger said, they won't need scrubbing in but they do only work well under 7C. Don't drive like a loon on them either. Just because they winter tyres doesn't mean they'll grip like summer tyres do in June. Drive to the conditions! They will be a whole lot less scary should you hit some ice or snow though, so worthwhile doing if you still need to get about when the bad weather hits.

Ok thanks for the advice! We get hit pretty bad up here in Aberdeen in winter so will definitely need to get them :)

i manged last year with normal tires just haha only time i had an issue when i bottomed out on a snow dift

I need some new front tyres but can't decide whether to not it's worth buying full on winter tyres...I know we get snow and bad weather now and do remember last year being fine as I was driving a Berlingo at the time (amazing in the snow!) Really wanted some yoko paradas but I know they'll be terrible in any bad weather..decisions decisions. What are the standard Bridgestone tyres like in the snow? The OEM ones fitted to the car from new? I currently have some cheap ass Micky mouse brand fitted so anything has to be better than those.

I got properly stuck in the snow in my EP3 in 2010 when it had Bridgestones on. Stopped on the tiniest of inclines and just couldn't set off forward again.

No summer tyre will be "good" on snow. Last year with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s on the FN2 I seemed to be able to move forward at least but turning and stopping was just plain scary.

You never know, it might not snow. It might be unusually mild all winter. Chance you take.

The problem isn't necessarily summer or winter tyres; it's low profile, wide tyres that just can't cope with the white stuff. My old golf on skinny wheels had no problem whatsoever. The Benz won't be as good though as it's RWD.

The problem isn't necessarily summer or winter tyres; it's low profile, wide tyres that just can't cope with the white stuff. My old golf on skinny wheels had no problem whatsoever. The Benz won't be as good though as it's RWD.

But the retro tyre sizes mean a full set of winter knobblies is about £7.50. :lol:

I've found the solution, swap all wheels to a space saving spare for winter - narrow wheels with tractor tyres = win! :D

Just not on the front, they don't clear the calipers. :(

You put the rear on the front. Skinny wheels should always be put on the rear due to braking/LSDs/even acceleration etc. It isn't safe basically.

Ah I see! Cheers. Bit of a faff having to swap two wheels at the roadside, how does one cope with a single jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ah I see! Cheers. Bit of a faff having to swap two wheels at the roadside, how does one cope with a single jack?

Jack up the rear, rear wheel without the flat off and skinny space saver on, put the rear down, jack up the front, swap non-flat old rear onto the front, put the front down, put flat old front in the boot, skulk off home with a horrible wheel on the back.

Oh, hai!

DSC02092.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

what tyres would you recommend for wet weather, seems to be constantly ****ing rain here, my ep3 is all over the place in wet sliding

I have uniroyal rain sport 2 on my daily. I do 60 miles a day on them. They are very good in my opinion wet or dry. I also have a set of snow tyres Michelin primacy alpin. I have not used the snow tyres on the ep3 yet but I am sure it won't be long. I had a set on my cupra R last year and they were excellent in the snow hence why I got a set for the ep3.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If the temperature drops any lower or if it starts snowing I'll be getting some winter boots for the Focus.

I never realised how good they were till I tried them last year. I won't be doing snow driving without them again. The difference is night and day.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back