• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Would you put a 130,000 mile car on a dyno?!

Hi,

Car is going on a rolling road this Saturday. Its done 130,000 miles. I am doing it because I want to see how much power the engine has actually retained after all these miles. With it being a Honda, my friend says I will be pleasantly suprised!

Had the oil changed 2 weeks ago, getting the gearbox oil checked before it does the dyno run. Just hoping it'll all be OK! I'm sure it will, it pulls really well, doesn't smoke on high cam...

Will post power output on Saturday and hopefully it will prove that Honda are amazing - not that proof is required of course!

Would you drive it to the rev limit in 3rd or 4th gear on the road?

If so, it's no different to the stress create on an RR.

I put my 123k ish DC2 on the dyno, didn't think twice about the mileage tbh.

Cheers for the re-assurance guys. I really can't wait for the results! Standard engine + K&N Typhoon (will probably sap power, should put the OEM one back on to be honest) and DC Sports cat back....

I said to my friend I would be suprised if it made 190bhp. He is an avid Honda fan and is confident it could make 200bhp.....

I'm intrigued because when our friends on top gear pop an old car on the dyno, it turns out they have lost heaps of power!!! I responded with this theory to my friend and he said, they've lost power because they aren't Hondas.

At the wheels, bog standard UK DC2.

IMG_5496.jpg

189bhp @ fly apparently.

Would be about 160@wheels with 15%trans loss

Looks Like a healthy one Chris

was expecting it to be good, didn't expect it to be that good!
thought it would have lost at least 10-15bhp

189bhp @ fly apparently.

Would be about 160@wheels with 15%trans loss

Looks Like a healthy one Chris
Yup, it made good power and felt fine on the road.

The dyno in Salisbury where it was done has shown to be accurate but as always, dyno's are a tuning tool and not a 100% accurate measurement of an engines power output.

Mittanio, most cars usually loosen up over the years and make slightly more Power if looked after properly.

well thats good to know! as you can no doubt tell i'm pretty inexperienced apart from standard mechanics!

Back