• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

xenons legal or not????????

Funny question but are hids actually legal because it seems a bit of a grey area. Most sites i look at claim there legal if they have self levelling and washers but an equal amount of people claim there illegal. I know most people have them nowadays but alot of these cars have them because there factory fitted.

Any help guys :D

Theres that many cars about with them now anyway the police wouldnt even no the difference just make sure i dont get a jobsworth mot'er

In the UK they actually have not been passed as legal for road use. Only the fact that they are legal according to EU legislation means they can be used in the UK.

VOSA's stance based on EU regs is that to avoid scatter and vertical misalignment cars using them must have headlight washers and either lens or rear axle auto levelling. All new cars sold in Europe that come with HID lights must meet the equivalent EU regulation.

Therefore, fitting aftermarket HIDs is technically in breach of these regulations. However, as long as you have told your insurance and the car is free of any defects which are picked up on the MOT, then your car is road legal. My car passed the MOT at a Honda main dealer a week after fitting them.

So the only trouble you are going to get is if a bored and eagle-eyed police officer decides to start prodding about, and as has been said, there are that many cars with them it would be difficult to notice.

It's in the same league as using a decat on your car, some cars will pass the MOT with the decat. Will you ever get pulled by the police for it? No.

Good point about the colour too. Mine are 6000k. On my phone at the moment so can't post pics but they are in my build thread on my Sig, will edit later and add pic. :)

Edit:
Pics!
Sdc11321.jpg

Beforeandafter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help guys its seems the majority if people get through mot no probs. Can anyone suggest a decent colour am thinking perhaps 6k and am i right in thinking because mine is a 2003 model that ill be on h1 bulbs

Thanks for your help guys its seems the majority if people get through mot no probs. Can anyone suggest a decent colour am thinking perhaps 6k and am i right in thinking because mine is a 2003 model that ill be on h1 bulbs

i would say you would be more than happy with 6k. it really freshens up the car, to look at and whilst driving (range is reaaly increased aswell).

great gains for the money

As the legal jargon goes, if you have projector headlights which EP3's have (dont know about FN2's) then yes they are legal. it is all based on how the light is projected and projector headlights shine light in a straight beam.

If you have reflectors and no projectors then they would be illegal if stopped by the fuzz/MOT as they "Scatter" light everywhere blinding other drivers.

As the legal jargon goes, if you have projector headlights which EP3's have (dont know about FN2's) then yes they are legal. it is all based on how the light is projected and projector headlights shine light in a straight beam.

If you have reflectors and no projectors then they would be illegal if stopped by the fuzz/MOT as they "Scatter" light everywhere blinding other drivers.

Pre-facelift don't have projector headlights

This is wrong.

Loxy was fully correct - to be road legal you need auto-leveling and washers, neither of which retrofitted HIDs will have on a CTR (at least not the latest one). That being said it is probable they will pass an MOT regardless (mine did, at Honda), but a jobsworth copper will be able to do you with a Construction & Use offence.

H4.

The reflector lenses use different HID bulbs that either have a mini reflector over the end of the bulb or they have matt black paint to stop the light scatter. CTRs after the 2009 facelift and Civic EXs from 2006 have had HIDs from the factory, headlight washers and autoleveling as standard and are road load legal. Reflector lenses only on the 2006+ Civic. :smt023

to be road legal you need auto-leveling and washers, neither of which retrofitted HIDs will have on a CTR (at least not the latest one). That being said it is probable they will pass an MOT regardless (mine did, at Honda), but a jobsworth copper will be able to do you with a Construction & Use offence.

+1

Back