• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

RRC inlet manifold+FD2 TB vs FD2 oil pump balancer shaft delete

Hi guys,
I have a 60 plate Fn2 on 43k miles with factory fitted LSD.
So far the aftermarket parts that I have bought and will be fitting on 7 seventh of June + mapping a Hondata are:
Hondata flashpro
Toda cat back exhaust
Tegiwa exhaust manifold
Gruppe M intake
Fast Road Setup with 15 mm Eibach springs
EBC ultimax disks
Ferodo ds2500 pads
Hell brake lines

Couple of second hand things came up and I can't make up my mind what to get.
I want to keep the car quiet I don't want to be the most hated guy in my area again.

What will give my car better gains in midrange and everyday drive?

RRC inlet + Fd2TB or FD2 oil pump upgrade as TDI North are writing in an old post that the oil pump is one of the best mods you can have.
Also what do you think of the price of £250 for FD2 TB?
Is the J35 alternative?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

FD2 oil pump doesn't need a dyno tune. FD2 TB and RRC does really and if you already have one, a retune.

The FD2 pump makes gains throughout the rev range, whereas the RRC and TB don't, it's much more when in VTEC. The J35 TB comes off a V6, which have completely different ECUs. The FN2 ECU when tweaked with flashpro and run it, but the TB driver units in the 8th Gen ECUs have been blowing when using J series Throttle Bodies. There are threads all over the Hondata forums about it, so personally I'd stick with the FD2 throttle body which was designed for the K-series engine and ECU.

Thanks for the response.
I have read allot of your reviews and they have made me consider the oil pump upgrade as an option for mods.
The main thing I want to buy the FD2 TB is that it's hard to find. I think I am rushing with things a bit as well as the mods I will have soon are some that people do over an year and I am doing them within the first two months of owning the car.
I haven't mapped the car yet. My intake arrives at the end of the month and I wanted to install everything and then map the car.
I have booked it at Eurospec for installation of all parts and map.
Will my car become allot louder on motorway driving with the RRC inlet?
I expect it to be louder in vtec.
I have promised my wife that I will not make this one very loud as I had a peugeot 106 gti with cams straight through exhaust and ram intake. I was waking up the baby every time I come home in the morning as I work night shift.

RRC inlet won't make it any louder. The Tegiwa exhaust manifold and Toda catback however will make it significantly louder however.

Thats exactly what I wanted to know.
The only part that I have actually fitted before the mapping is the Toda cat back and I am extremely happy with the sound. The Tegiwa manifold will make it a bit louder, but still tolerable I hope?
I chose the Toda because of the refined sound and because it's not as loud as the cheaper exhausts.

It will be louder, so much that you'll notice but you'll soon get used to it. Not silly loud like some. :smt023

The FD2 pump is the second best mod after the 4-2-1 manifold mate, revs pickup so much quicker throughout the whole range.
Took a while to settle but you wouldn't know it was any different now other than the pickup.

Don't worry about modding too quickly, I drove mine for barely two full tanks and started modding, I wasn't blown away stock, it was either sell or mod it.

I'd do all the mods at once to save tuning fees but personally the RRC didn't give a huge difference until cams were done, it's worth doing but if locating an FD2 TB is holding you back I'd personally get the other mods done and retweaked in the future. Alternatively pay slightly more for the TB and save on retuning costs. FD2 TBs average £150-175.

Thanks for the advice guys!
What I was thinking to do is to fit all parts that I have bought and include the RRC inlet and fd2TB and get the car mapped.
After the Christmas works I am thinking to get the oil pump upgrade and cams at the same time, so I can't avoid getting the car mapped twice.
On the other hand I think I prefer the oil pump upgrade as it will give me exactly what I want from the car.
Does fd2TB come for sale often as the few people that I have asked are telling me they are hard to find. I called HONDA today to ask how much is a new one.
Have a guess...
£1093
I could not believe it.

Last time I bought an FD2 TB I had to get it imported from Australia as I couldn't find one locally. They are getting harder to come by.

You have to do some funky channel blocking to fit it to a DBW TB IIRC. Definitely possible though.

Ah, fair enough. I was going to say that there are a lot more for sale and the power difference is negligible.

Skunk2 do a TB that fits

The Skunk2 one got discontinued as there was an issue with the butterfly valve sticking IIRC. It was supposed to be replaced with a revised one but I don't ever think it got released. They are like rocking horse doo-doo as a result.

Wasn't aware of this.

Do other TB's fit rather than having to go for an FD2 one?

You need a DBW throttle body for it to work so you are limited.

There are ones from the J series engine (J35 and J37) but they were designed for a differnet ECU and those two have been blowing the TB driver units on ECUs of 8th Gen K-series cars, threads on the Hondata Forum about it, so I really would not recommend them. I had a J37, it whistled after I fitted it so I made some enquires and found out about the ECU driver issue and sent it back as a result. Turned out the whistling was due to the gasket having to be fitted exactly so, otherwise it didn't close an air channel on the TB hosing properly.

The FD2 one fits directly on with no issue and that's why they are so popular, just no messing about and OEM reliability. If you can't find one, Spoon and Mugen TBs are reworked FD2 throttle bodies with enlarged apertures, but you'll pay more.

Does the Spoon TB have the same... How can I say?
Feel of stock like TB when taking of slowly and slowly driving.

Oops, sorry
It's a skunk2 not spoon. Spoon is £1036.
Does the Toda one work as good (easy) as the fd2 one?

Yes, I drove an FD2 throttle body in the GroupN map on my last FN2 for about 2 months and it drove like stock.

You're best asking on forums and facebook pages.

After trying for months I asked on the civinfo facebook page and 3 lads offered me theirs (some with RRCs too) within the week.
Felt like Christmas ;)

Back