• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 GT extras worth the extra 2k ?

hi there

mind is made up on the car and color but not sure i want the GT model with the utter garbage sat nav that comes with it (so i have read). i wouldn't mind the parking sensors but cant be blessed with blind spot . Does it still come with apple car play so i can just then use google maps if i don't go with the GT version ?.

my add ons will be the lighting pack for £795 that comes with the lit up sills and add better car mats as i like them. might even get that boot mat too, but i could try my luck on the mats and get them free . lol

What is the sound system like ? is there anything different to it when spending the Extra 2k ?

these past 12 months shopping for my midlife crisis car no car has given me more goose bumps than this Fk8 .. just wow ..even my missis likes it ..

This will be my 1st ever Honda and my first ever brand new car .

however it wont be a daily driver .

Hey Killswitch, welcome to the forum and congrats on the decision, you wont be disappointed.

I would 100% recommend the GT for the following reasons:

1) Parking Sensors are a must - this thing is huge, not so much a civic anymore, more an accord
2) Traffic Sensing really helpful as well when reversing out of spaces etc
3) Dual zone climate - if your missus is anything like mine, she has it on 20 always, whereas I am boiling and it does make a difference to have your own setting
4) You don't get the red piping around the bumpers - maybe you're not bothered but I like it, matches the wheels
5) Re-sale value - a non GT will depreciate quicker than a GT - again if you are keeping it may not be a problem

Other Differences
You wont get wireless charging - Again my missus or a mate uses this when I am using the wire but not a biggie
Sat Nav is a bit Nintendo64, but does a job - you still get apple car play on non gt
You get 8 speakers - GT gets 11 - really happy with sound, but not heard an 8 but using man maths more means better..!

So my views, but up to you sir!!!

I would buy gt spec, looking at your post about free stuff, I managed to get the full lighting pack for free including mats and bootliner, full tank of gas and private plates made up as well, once I take the 18 plate off. Brown brothers peebles was the dealer that I ordered from, really easy to deal with. I think it was just over £1000 pounds I save on the options. Give them a phone. Ian Sunderland was the salesman, Although it was Robert Brown who ok'd the deal.

I wonder if they sell many non-GT cars?

I know it's daft to spec the car for the next owner, but after a few years when the cars have all depreciated a bit and there are more for sale on the 2nd hand market and prices get more aligned that the current £2k difference, I think I would rather be selling a GT rather than explaining why mine wasn't one. Obviously £2k is still £2k when ordering a new car and it's easy to spend someone elses money :)

I've said it before but I really think it allows Honda to say 'Prices start from £30,995' so it looks good value compared to the competition

Parking sensors and dual zone ac is great, as mentioned above the car is big, never bothered with them before but it is a must on this car, be cheap to retrofit. Sat nav is fine.

I would buy gt spec, looking at your post about free stuff, I managed to get the full lighting pack for free including mats and bootliner, full tank of gas and private plates made up as well, once I take the 18 plate off. Brown brothers peebles was the dealer that I ordered from, really easy to deal with. I think it was just over £1000 pounds I save on the options. Give them a phone. Ian Sunderland was the salesman, Although it was Robert Brown who ok'd the deal.

This is really good to know and a very good option as I’m not that far from Peebles and could make a day of it and go to the glentress MTB trails .if I end up getting the car from them .

Thanks for the opinions and I will end up getting the GT then .

I can’t understand why videos on you tube say it’s ugly , it’s stunning really is and makes me want it more by seeing all the awards it’s winning .

Colour will be Rallye red

This is really good to know and a very good option as I’m not that far from Peebles and could make a day of it and go to the glentress MTB trails .if I end up getting the car from them .
Same for me, I mtb as well and I'm at glentress lots of times. If you ever see a pmm in the car park it will probably be me

Last edited by a moderator:
Most who order non GT will be for demo cars, track cars, converted into race cars etc.

How much lighter are the non GT's, I remember an fk2 owner ordering a non GT as he didn't need the gadgets and said he'd rather have a lighter car

the extra 2 grand in the owners pocket would likely offset the weight saving, especially if it was in coins. :lol:

I've said it before but I really think it allows Honda to say 'Prices start from £30,995' so it looks good value compared to the competition
I would agree with this, and was the same reason Ford had an ST1 Focus - nobody bought them but it was a headline grabbing entry level price. They later dropped the ST1 spec on the Mk.3 Focus.

If somebody bought a non GT spec FK8 I am pretty sure they would end up regretting it, and would always be considered inferior beside a GT, which is instantly recognisable due to the red striping.
My own opinion is.....if you cant afford an extra 2 grand for the GT then you are already stretching your budget too much as it is.
It has to be GT or nothing in my book.

When I ordered mine there was no discussion with the dealer...he rightly assumed I wanted the GT.
Perhaps the non GTs are special order only and outside the normal allocation?

I would agree with this, and was the same reason Ford had an ST1 Focus - nobody bought them but it was a headline grabbing entry level price. They later dropped the ST1 spec on the Mk.3 Focus.

If somebody bought a non GT spec FK8 I am pretty sure they would end up regretting it, and would always be considered inferior beside a GT, which is instantly recognisable due to the red striping.
My own opinion is.....if you cant afford an extra 2 grand for the GT then you are already stretching your budget too much as it is.
It has to be GT or nothing in my book.

This is true i just wanted to know if was worth it and can see it is .. i was always planning to get GT anyway so im more stoked into getting one now .. finance not such an issue but i would prefer to get a 18-20k loan and only pay £1.5k interest rather than £3.5-£4k in interest charges and i get to pay over 5 years on a loan (got the rest saved up for the max deposit anyway). if i can get the right dealer who can give me a good deal . i.e free lighting kit with logo lit up sills and mats saving about a grand then it offsets some of the interest that way ..

also there is special VIP event @ honda carlisle end of this week for the weekend and can try there and see what they can give ..

Back