• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone else falling out of love with their FK8

My VTi EG was "only" 130hp but definitely felt lively. That only had VTEC on the inlet cams. The SiR and SiR II were suitably amusing.

The '89 B16A-based CRX was around 900kg and the JDM version put out ~160hp. I'd say they happily qualify.

The CRX would definitely count, but to my eyes it's a coupe not a hatchback, may as well bung the Teg's in too.

Anyway's sorry for turning this into a p*ssing Honda vs Renault willy waving contest. :lol:

The fk8 while extremely accomplished didn't have the fun factor of the older car's, far better, plenty quicker but ultimately not as satisfying to pedal. It would make an excellent compromise between daily, occasional track car though and out of the modern hot hatches I've driven it's certainly the most involving.

I agree with you. Maybe because I am too old, yesterday I had the same feeling when I travelled back to my fond memories of driving my former Ford Lotus Cortina. What a great car!

Include them if it makes you happy, when I was a lad it was only the grannies mincing around in civic's.

Nothing to do with making me happy, more the veracity of your statement. How long ago was that then? :lol:

I had a Renault 5 Gordini back in the day. Mine was a shed :p

My mum had a Gordini Turbo when I was a nipper back in the early 80s, black with tan interior. Fond memories of that car, sadly it ended up on it's roof on the M27 #-o

Last edited by a moderator:
Not forgetting the new limited edition cupra R is coming this year another one to keep an eye on

I like Fords.

I'm getting that way once more. It's about 5:4 by pure numbers in favour of Honda at the minute. May venture into a Croakus ST once again when the income recovers.

A45 AMG is a much better car, so yes I can understand where you are coming from.

That and it doesn't look like it has gone through halfords/max power magazine for styling lmao.

A45 AMG is a much better car, so yes I can understand where you are coming from.

That and it doesn't look like it has gone through halfords/max power magazine for styling lmao.

c625d776f8cfcbcaa9534a9747de4d37.jpg
7cd32910794f9907e7d54f63ca0814ff.jpg

I've formed no opinion of you Ron, only on your perspective.

I would argue that Renaultsport are no more niche than Honda in this market and they have been producing great hot hatches for far longer than Honda have. The first hot hatch from Renault dates way back to 1976 with the 5 Alpine. They have arguably been the greatest provider of hot hatches since the early 00's when Peugeot decided to go lukewarm. Honda's first hot hatch to go on sale in the uk came a wopping 25 years after Renault's first offering. I'm no fanboy of any brand but Renault have produced some of the best fwd driver's car's period, to place them second fiddle to Honda is somewhat naive.

ae7b563be4183a5116e7a6246bee516b.jpg

Did I touch a nerve there Dotty? :D

For the record, EP3 is nowhere near as quick. The FK2/FK8 are amazing machines, but their build quality and styling are extremely subjective. Hence why you don't see many on the road :)

I drove an A45 AMG about 4 years ago and found it dull and boring. The ride was ridiculously firm, the constant farts from the exhaust were tiresome and the car itself felt boring. Quick though, I'll give it that. No idea if there's been a newer model or if any improvements have been made but I was far from sold.

A45 AMG is a much better car

Better than what? You didn't specify but if you mean the car most recently mentioned - Focus ST, then a Lamborghini Aventador is also much better. ;)

I'm thinking you surely couldn't have been comparing with a Focus ST because it has relatively understated looks.

I’ve had two fk2’s and neither of them had any issues , I’ve had the fk8 nearly 6 months and yes , that had the issue I had been reading about before I took the plunge, that has been dealt with quickly and efficiently by Honda and Touch wood no other problems exist.

I dare say you don’t see many about due to the fk2 being built in limited numbers and the fk8 being over £30k

When I sold my first fk2 I needed a stop gap car before the fk8 was arriving , I had preordered - but cancelled after ironically reading about g/box issues from our friends over the pond. So i bought an Fn2 , which after coming out of an fk2 was the biggest anti climax one could experience.....

Which left me in a quandary , I wasn’t going to get an fk8 because of gearbox issues , so I bought another fk2 - but then Honda invited a select few of us to go and experience the fk8 at rockingham. It was there that I realised how good a car it was , so then decided i would after all get an fk8, but after seeing them all lined up at the event I attended , I decided it had to be a white one , and the rest is history.

The pic of Matt Neal is from said day and my go pro, but his facial expressions make for good meme’s from the absolute trash I read on social media and forums these days.

I still like the ep3 but for me my days with NA Honda have bitten the dust. They are simply too slow out of the box these days. Unless the car is prepped well for track , but then if you use it daily is becomes a chore for daily duties.

Back