• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Recent content by 56TypeR

1. 5

Transmission noise whilst engine braking

Thanks for this information, its worth a try I guess. Tom from TGM motors (a reputable garage) thought it could be loose clutch springs too, but perhaps its a combination. I *might* buy a pulley and see what happens :-)
  2. 5

Opinions on cold idle noise

I will check the heatshield for movement, removed the driveshaft HS and the ivtec cover already. Valve clearances done a few months ago by TGM. The sound (i'm concerned with) in the video isn't high pitched, sounds like hollow resonating... From intake/cam cover area. Its quiet around the...
  3. 5

There is a range that it will accept, according to the manual. Tried 5w40 too but think that was before I noticed the noise, so it could help. Somehow my car got registered on the first Monday to make it a 56 plate. Think the first owner wanted it like that? Manufacture date was a fair few...
  4. 5

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAt5aUjNutk&feature=youtube_gdata_player I've got a 56 EP3 CTR, 40k on the clock. For a while now it's been making this odd clunking, sucking, type of noise when idling. It's most noticeable when cold, and not run for...
  5. 5

Grinding noise when engine braking

I think that sounds a likely cause. It sound like something spinning up and when you take your foot off it buzzes as it slows back down. If you try to decellorate on the biting point, the noise is gone. Probably just a design error, or things are out by a few mm. Oh and the whomming noise was...
  6. 5

2004 EP3 - heater control light sometimes doesn't illuminate? Any ideas?

Mine does this when its cold. Just the bottom lights. Comes back on after a few minutes and everything warms up. Perhaps some electric circuit somewhere?
  7. 5

Rattle / whirring noise under acceleration

Did you try to engage vtec with a wide open throttle (foot to floor)? I ask for two reasons... Vtec engages depending on engine load... It's a range not a specific rpm. If you edge up to it, it engages later. Perhaps 6200 or 6500. Secondly, without much engine load you don't 'feel' the...
  8. 5

Just bought EP3, 2 things, interior lights & whining?

That sounds like the noise from the chain cam. Quite normal! Sort of like a mild supercharger whine. Nothing to worry about!
  9. 5

Load Shaft Bearings........Broken!!!!

Does the noise happen when you press the clutch and keep it in gear? The input shaft will be spinning at road speed whilst in gear so should still make the noise?! Sounds like the problem I've had for a while, sounds particular bad when you lift off. Kind of buzzing noise. Search for posts I've...
  10. 5

Grinding noise when engine braking

Hi, I've had the gearbox + clutch bearings changed twice and it still happens... no different! I suggest you don't do that. My latest theory is the clutch - I'm suspecting that new version of the OEM clutch make the noise. You'll find it doesn't happen (mainly) before 55 plate. Is there any...
  11. 5

Fog hole cover

I had this problem. Put your arm into the hole and feel around. I found the other piece in there almost as far back as the wheel. I then carefully held it in place and added super glue to the connecting pieces of plastic. I then added duck tape to the back so if it falls off again I will have...
  12. 5

CUT OUT?

So it hasn't done it since then? I've been lurking in this forum long enough to make an educated guess. It just sounded like a complete loss of power/shut down would indicate something electric related? Hope it stays ok!
  13. 5

CUT OUT?

Could it be a bad earth or battery terminal? I had it in an old car where a bump shut down everything and tightening up the battery terminals immediately restored power.
  14. 5

Cross threaded cam cover bolts

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated. To clarify, I actually stripped the thread from the struts that poke through the cam cover. Most are knackered. Cylinder head is fine. I don't think there is enough metal to fix them because the thread towards the bottom is completely...
  15. 5

Cross threaded cam cover bolts

Hi, When putting my cam cover back on I realised that I let the torque wrench handle slip (locking thingy at end wasn't tight) from 12nm to higher. Now i've got some bad thread on the struts so I cannot get any of the 6 to torque to 12nm. Great. To be fair, the nuts didn't have much resistance...
Back