• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2 Faults That I Cant seem To Find The Answer To?? Help Please!!

Hi, newbie here! Recently bought myself a 2003 type r and love it. Just got two niggling issues that I can't find answers to, hoping someone here may know?? 1st) my civic came with a tacky eBay fob which has by far seen better days so I purchased a two button genuine Honda one second hand off eBay, now I have managed to get it into learn mode and the fob locks/unlocks the car fine what it doesn't do is turn off the immobilizer so I can't start the car, the original one still works but can't figure out why the new one won't?? Any ideas?? 2nd) I have an annoying knocking noise coming from the front suspension, can't find any play anywhere?? Seems like it also gets worse when driving for a long time. Again any ideas? Thanks.

Not sure on the fob, but for suspension knocking my first port of call would be top mounts. Then things like drop links and bushes.
Hope you get it sorted ;)

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look and see if I find anything if not I will just change everything that I have read up on like ball joints, drop links and top mounts.

With regards to the alarm, I'd go to Honda direct. I had them look at mine when I first got the car as it had a mind of it's own, £100 later I had a reliable alarm with two brand new fobs.

Hi danger, thanks for the reply. I think that's something I may have to do, it doesn't matter which programming sequence I use all it does is lock/unlock the car. Then when I open the door the alarm goes off and I can't start it because it's immobilized.

God, I hate electrics so much :lol: I'd definitely take it to them. They aren't always as expensive as people think.

Lol your telling me, nothing is ever simple when it comes to electrics. Will book it in sometime this week I think and get it sorted before my other fob gives up.

Hello there, with regards to the knocking I would say it could be a number of things. When I first got my ep3 it was making all sorts of knocks and bangs from the front end, Honda replaced steering rack first and that made it a touch quieter, then I found play in the front struts and replaced them, again was a little quieter, then top mounts, drop links, and removed the vtec cover and cat heat shield and she is now nice and tight. I'm not super fussy on noises but these things got mine sorted. Hope this helps.

Back