• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM CAI 'Hydro-locking' - engine side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny, i've done over 40,000 miles in the last 2 years with mine and i've had no problems whatsoever....

During your 40,000 miles did you use anything like a hydro shield to help keep it dry or did you just leave it open? I only ask as I have just install the injen cai, I did loads of research I can't see it being a problem unless you drive like total plank.

Interesting discusion, last time i saw this it was on 2 pages!

My car is running perfectly and has since 5 mins after it happening, the VTEC is also kicking in normally too, just not as loud as it was via the filter!? I'm assuming this will be to do with the filter getting a bit moist and needing drying out? No idea really, just thinking outloud........ since saturday, we've had more rain, snow and freezing winds, so not much chance to dry out if that is the case!

As said, what i went through wasn't like going through a Ford, it just enough for the water to flow out of both arches etc....... low speed and not driving like a tool would have helped, what wouldn't have helped is how low my car is at the front!

It can happen anyone dude, you dont have to drive like a tool to hit a puddle, id maybe take it off and dry out the filter, make sure its not soaking wet, if the car is still running ok id say you have got away with it

During your 40,000 miles did you use anything like a hydro shield to help keep it dry or did you just leave it open? I only ask as I have just install the injen cai, I did loads of research I can't see it being a problem unless you drive like total plank.

No I didn't use a hydroshield just left it as it is, in my opinion it is completely fine as long as you don't drive through stupidly deep water, i wouldn't worry at all mate.

No I didn't use a hydroshield just left it as it is, in my opinion it is completely fine as long as you don't drive through stupidly deep water, i wouldn't worry at all mate.

Famous last words.

There was a CTR at TGM recently getting written off due to a hydro locked engine which boiled down to the owner having an AEM cai, the owner of the car had been caught out by a road he wasn't familiar with.. The rest is history.

It's a gamble having a CAI with the UK's unpredictable weather. Fact.

TDi-North has had at least two in this winter that I know of, an EP3 and a DC5.

It happens.

Famous last words.

There was a CTR at TGM recently getting written off due to a hydro locked engine which boiled down to the owner having an AEM cai, the owner of the car had been caught out by a road he wasn't familiar with.. The rest is history.

It's a gamble having a CAI with the UK's unpredictable weather. Fact.

exactly my point, dark + unfamiliar road in the rain = disaster

this is a lot more common than most people think

Like I said earlier Caz's ATR has had an AEM long ram best part of 10 years.

She knows that puddles near side are fine, offside puddles are a no no. Stop if unsure.

It's not like the filter is on the bloody floor & when was the last time a puddle jumped up from no where and surprised you?

Like I said earlier Caz's ATR has had an AEM long ram best part of 10 years.

She knows that puddles near side are fine, offside puddles are a no no. Stop if unsure.

It's not like the filter is on the bloody floor & when was the last time a puddle jumped up from no where and surprised you?

Like I said, famous last words, just take a look at some library pictures from sky news about uk floods.

The bloke I mentioned earlier had the same outlook on CAI until he went down a country lane he was unfamiliar with and that was that. He even said in his post that he didn't believe it would ever happen to him after 80000,000 miles with it on.

I am sure zeffania suffered from this too on a road he knew!

I have no sympathy for anyone who runs an aem and suffers hydrolock (that knowingly understands the risk)

^^^ exactly all this! finally some people that get what I've been trying to say! Road conditions can be unpredictable! wrong place wrong time and all that! you knowingly take a stupid risk with an aem long arm, for what exactly? what exactly are the difference in bhp gains between that and a short arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back