• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aftermarket alloy advice

Julian at Rarerims disputed this claim.

I’ve been over kerbs on tracks countless times.

Kerbs on a track and a moon crater found on the road are two different things when you hit them.
I get it something like rota’s for a track/race car that doesn’t see the road. They’re cheap and if one gets mangled in a crash then it’s not the end of the world. Hitting a kerb on track doesn’t have the same shock effect as hitting a pot hole in the road which sometimes isn’t avoidable.

I'm sorry but Rota wheels never just break on road or track, it's an internet fallacy that's been going on for years, one which has been disproven many times by suppliers, race teams, experts and manufacturers themselves.

My Rota's have taken some serious abuse on the road, hit some horrible deep pot holes that were totally unavoidable and they are in great condition still

Hardly tangible evidence that all replica wheels including Rota are to be avoided.

Customers vehicle so wouldn’t know. Location of the crack on the inside of the rim would point to hitting a pot hole.
Seen a fair few wheels killed off by the poor conditions of our roads. Surely could happen to any brand of wheel given a hard enough impact.

Seen a fair few wheels killed off by the poor conditions of our roads. Surely could happen to any brand of wheel given a hard enough impact.

So true. Loads of wheels have fallen victim to this probably including more expensive ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes this is true. But in comparison to a genuine manufacturer wheel and a cheap wheel, I’ve seen more cheap wheels damaged over genuine.
Speak to a wheel refurb company and they’ll tell you that the casting quality of a cheap wheel compared to a genuine wheel manufacturer is noticeable after sand blasting. Far more pitting in the material requiring more paint and sometimes filling to get a decent finish.
Of course, those of you who use cheap wheels, or supply them whatever will always disagree. Beauty of a car forum....

There's also the argument that there are more cheap / fake wheels out there so the % of damaged wheels would inevitably higher.

I'm not disagreeing with your comments on quality, I would expect the quality of the more expensive wheels to be higher, I would rather have a nice set of branded wheels than my rotas.

But saying they are not worth the risk of running is a stretch to far.
Yes maybe for some cheap Chinese unbranded wheels from an unknown source.

But there are thousands of sets of Rota's etc out there that will hit many pot holes and not suffer issues.

P.S. Your Enkies are lovely

There's also the argument that there are more cheap / fake wheels out there so the % of damaged wheels would inevitably higher.
Quite the opposite actually. Maybe not so much in the ‘modified’ world but in my line of work I might only see 1-2 sets of ‘budget’ wheels a month. Out of those sets 9/10 times at least one will be a minimum buckled. Compared to the 50+ sets of genuine rims I inspect in a month only a handful (less than 10) will have some damage.
No car manufacturer I know uses a budget brand wheel manufacturer and there’s good reason for it.

Quite the opposite actually. Maybe not so much in the ‘modified’ world but in my line of work I might only see 1-2 sets of ‘budget’ wheels a month. Out of those sets 9/10 times at least one will be a minimum buckled. Compared to the 50+ sets of genuine rims I inspect in a month only a handful (less than 10) will have some damage.
No car manufacturer I know uses a budget brand wheel manufacturer and there’s good reason for it.

OK I thought we were talking specifically aftermarket.

Yes this is true. But in comparison to a genuine manufacturer wheel and a cheap wheel, I’ve seen more cheap wheels damaged over genuine.
Speak to a wheel refurb company and they’ll tell you that the casting quality of a cheap wheel compared to a genuine wheel manufacturer is noticeable after sand blasting. Far more pitting in the material requiring more paint and sometimes filling to get a decent finish.
Of course, those of you who use cheap wheels, or supply them whatever will always disagree. Beauty of a car forum....
Having had a mix of both I've been lucky and not had any bad experience with any wheel I've used, not disagreeing with you at all, just haven't had any issues myself.

Of course the more you spend the better the quality, that's a given in many areas generally.

Back