• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Aftermarket wheels

So, anyone gone aftermarket of yet? I'd really like a set of bronze volk ce28s, but max size being 18s is putting me off, I think they may look too small on the car unless it's lowered. Ideally would have liked 19 but for the price of the volks I don't wanna go 18 and then kick myself once there on the car.

Anyone else seen a set of wheels that really suit the Fk8 or thoughts on 18s on it?

i spent the first few months of ownership looking at wheels with my heart set on a volks type design as I think a slightly dished look really suits the car and compliments the arch extensions. I looked at Bola wheels as a cheaper option, but there was nothing in 20" and I think the wheels look small enough (crazy for 20's I know)' let alone going smaller...Then I completely sh&gged one of my wheels and I thought had this have been a 'Volks' id have been in tears so have stopped looking.

I know loads over in the US and on CivicX.com have 18s and 19s with fatter side wall tyres, but I have not seen anything I really like. Some on here are looking at the team Dynamics, but I am not a fan.

Look on civicx.com - 'what did you do to your type r today' for inspiration

Best thing about the stock wheels is there easy to touch up when you eventually scratch them! I know you d probably shed a tear curbing a volk but at least you might get a tyre on with better rim protection.

I'm of a similar mindset to you though, team dynamics doesn't float my boat and nothing has really jumped out to me that I'd like, bar ce28 but wish it was in 19 not 18 inch, enkei rpf1 is a timeless wheel too and not crazy money, but again only in 18 so is gonna need lowering to look good, but lower = warranty worrys. Only plus point is theres no wire cutting on the shocks on the fk8 to fit springs like there was on the fk2

Looks perfectly fine with 18s to me, just lower it. Doubt you ll have any warranty issues with just lowering the car?

Imo it makes it look a lot more purposeful, and would increase ride comfort as well as handling. 20s just belong on SUVs imo...

Rays_Volk_RacingRays_CE28N_CE28_OG_18X95_5X120_PCD_33offset_Concave_Bronze_Jonathan_Caceres_1.jpg

Here is one on Eibach Pro springs

eibach.springs-prokit-ctr2.jpg

Definitely needs lowering if going 18, although regarding warranty I'd be wary, I'm also on the fence with the itch to change, would really like to go balls out with mods but have had a couple of ropey gear changes and lockouts so no chance am I doing anything that could jeprodise warranty if it needs to go back in, eg see other thread with gearbox refusal due to catback fitted

while at Honda Hospitality (Snetterton BTCC) I did manage to drop an ask to Matt Neal personally about whether he would go 18 or 19 on the FK8 to save our wheels in the winter and year-round from Potholes. He said you can go 18"'s and that Rimstock do some that clear the calipers without any issues.

So if Matt Neal approves surely that's good enough for a Honda papal type blessing ;-) can't say the same about lowering though.......again I'd say if you stick it in the ditch or tyre wall backwards you'll be hard pressed pinning that on Honda. But if you've got gearbox issues or a rattly dash then I can't see they can blame Springs and Wheels?

Definitely needs lowering if going 18, although regarding warranty I'd be wary, I'm also on the fence with the itch to change, would really like to go balls out with mods but have had a couple of ropey gear changes and lockouts so no chance am I doing anything that could jeprodise warranty if it needs to go back in, eg see other thread with gearbox refusal due to catback fitted

Depends how anal your dealership is, they can just as easily blame rattles or other issues in your car on your wheels being aftermarket too. So it's either stay OEM till all issues are sorted and then mod, or go balls out now. To be honest any company bitching about a catback as a potential cause for gearbox issues is just retarded in my books. My mates E46 M3 was stripped out in the back, half cage welded in, bucket seats, and god knows how many exhaust/suspension mods, and BMW still took it in for the airbag recall.

Bola wheels on an EP3 / FN2 would make you a worthless schlong. On better models? You really are a toss bag. Just don't bother if the best you can do is £500 for four wheels.

What's wrong with Ebola wheels then? Genuinely don't know, poor quality, Aldi of alloy wheels on the 'scene'?

What's wrong with Ebola wheels then? Genuinely don't know, poor quality, Aldi of alloy wheels on the 'scene'?

Nothing, just like people bash Rotas over Volks. Obviously Volks are better. But that's not to say that Rotas are a bad replica, many professional drifters run them here in the UK with no problems. Also if you kurb them, you don't need to sell a kidney to replace.

If you have the cash though, go for the real thing.

Bola wheels on an EP3 / FN2 would make you a worthless schlong. On better models? You really are a toss bag. Just don't bother if the best you can do is £500 for four wheels.

While I'm not one to put cheap parts on my car, if somebody buys a 3-4k Civic (EP3 or FN2) and then puts £500 wheels on it, that's completely fine. What isn't normal is if you spend 3k on wheels that are essentially worth more than the car they are going on. Unless of course you are doing like a full resto, or a show build and can later transfer parts. But for the majority out there, Rota/Bola will be more than fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drifters use Rota and the like because they're sacrificial. Cheap and easily replaceable should they smash them up. They're ok but still tat in the grand scheme of things. Bola, Japan Racing, Cades, etc are all just worthless drivel. Generally a good indication of an 'upgrade' is looking at how much it would cost to replace your OEM wheels and use that as your baseline.

Back