• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aluminium knobs.

Griffin

Banned for being a tit
Made some Aluminium heater knobs and a gear knob but am unsure whether they look gash or not?

Opinions...

imageetv.jpg

imagezoe.jpg

imagefeib.jpg

imageqco.jpg

I think I quite like the knob

^^That'll be someone's signature in no time.

The heater knobs look good close up. Clearly made by a man of great skill ;) But at a distance they look kind of tacky IMO :(

Knurling would make them look better IMO too Griff, maybe a recess in the front face infilled with something maybe carbon?

Busy Griff? :lol:

knurled would be good but as usual we don't have a knurler. i could cut a multi start thread with a high pitch across the circumference right and left handed so it would have a diamond criss cross pattern on them. the carbon inserts sound funky... difficult but funky :)

What about anodising the knobs black Griff, just blend them in a bit more?

The gear knob is a wicked shape, maybe the grooves a little deep, but the actual shape I like a lot, good work buddy :D

What about anodising the knobs black Griff, just blend them in a bit more?

The gear knob is a wicked shape, maybe the grooves a little deep, but the actual shape I like a lot, good work buddy :D

cheers nick :). I would have to send them out to get anodised, it would be pennys though :)

what if i grit blast them? it would give a satin finish.

look cool, maybe a mark to tell you the settings of the heater controls :D

true that mate but it was another set up on a different machine and i didn't have to much time today. tomorrow, hopefully i am going to improve this with the suggested upgrades.

it's just really fiddly to hold in machine chucks and vices as their is no parallel opposing faces. the only thing i can grasp in a chuck/vice is the shaft on the rear of the knobs and they only overhang by 3mm.

i may just copy the original knobs grooves and indicator slot.

how about satin for now and i'll set another set of knobs aside for a sneaky anodising when we have real work sent away for plating :)

how about like the plastic knobs a shallow ring on the face near the outer edge with either the inner satin and the outer shiny or vice versa?

with a slot for the indicator mark machined after the blasting so it's shiny? diamond shape knurling?

It could be me, as I've had a few beers, but the heater control knobs look too big. Maybe a slightly smaller design would look more in keeping with the rest of the interior.

The gear knob however I am sure people would part with money for that!

I'll try harder when I receive a sample? *hint* :)

Also you could make a mint here. These are selling for like £25 on eGay.

Back