• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Anyone got a private number plate?

I've never really thought about one apart from when mucking around on the DVLA website but now I have my Integra DC2 in excellent conditions I might be in the market for a private plate in the coming months ahead.

I know some people think they are a waste of money which is fair enough but I'd only want to buy a cheap one anyway.

Just wondered if any of you guys had a private plate and why you chose one.
:)

I have one I got it for my 21st I wanted one with only 5 digits I think they look much better and can't be mistaken for a regular plate!

i had one ages ago but got rid of it because its too easy to be remembered for bad driving and get punched.

I got one as it was going cheap and I like the fact that it adds character to the car :)

Drive sensibly and it wont get you punched !

Some people spend a shed load on a plate.
I've actually seen a plate I quote like for the DVLA minimum of £250.
We shall see. :D

The big issue with private plates imo is if you choose to abuse the spacing/lettering/mounting screws in order to try and spell a name or significant word.

When I see these "f*cktard" plates I just laugh at the stupidity and hope for a traffic officer who is a stickler for the law to tear them a new arsehole. 8)

When a cherished plated is displayed correctly then I don't see any issues tbh - I bought one for my lad (21st birthday) and it is displayed 100% legally and looks fine.

At the other end of the scale, if you are flush enough to be able to afford those special plates that spell something like a name or significant word then go right ahead.

I have 2 customers (both have a BMW M5 V10 8) ) with excellent plates.

One says B1OWN and the other says D1RTY. I have no idea how much those plates cost but if you have the dosh and you want it, do it. :)

All mine have non original plates, 1 came with it, 1 I was bought for me and the other I just had to have.
Previously I couldn't be bothered with them, just couldn't remember the plate on the S2000 so changed it.
All are spaced legally.

Susan and I both have private plates on ours- presents to each other at different times.

All plates are legally spaced and not had any problems whatsoever.

Makes remembering our plates easier :oops:

Yea, i got one when i got my car.

Its one i had been looking at for ages and will be transfered to whichever car i have.

I got M777WLL as i am a Millwall fan. It cost just £320 all in, including the VAT and Transfer fee.

I didnt have to change the lettering or spacing as it displays well as it is !

One minor problem though, is when i travel to away games and park it up !!! Thankfully, no vandalism yet !

I have one on my car L33 KRO & one on my big bike L99 KRO.
I was known by my pals as Lee Kro since school. Both were presents.

I just bought one last week from DVLA for the cheapest @ £250. Its a good way of making the car more unique and stand out. Plus if its quite a good plate then selling it on in the future hopefully won't be too hard.

i have a 5 digit one. currently on retension. private plates are nothing but hassle if you change cars alot.

also not a great idea to have a private plate if you enjoy spirited driving on a regular basis.

I've heard this before and I don't see the point. The age of a car is only relevant when buying/selling and in that situation wouldn't the buyer look a bit further than a stupid collection of letters on the plate to determine the age anyway? :?

I think the line I've been fed was that it hides the age of the car to an onlooker, not so much a prospective buyer. But yes you're right. If you've got a plate personalised to the car, and it's being transferred in the sale, it does not hide the age when it matters.

Yes but it came with the car and now I can't sell the f*cking thing. :lol:

Total waste of time and money IMBO.

Lol...now you see why I couldn't be arsed to do anything with the plate when I bought it :lol:

I have 2, but both are from deceased family members - as far as I'm concerned the value is sentimental, not monetary.

yesbruv.jpg

Back