• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Arrrghh Which Headunit?

Ok, As simple as this sounds it isn't as easy at is looks. Im after a head unit that is grey to match the colour of the centre console in my EP3. Im also looking for one that has the same colour lights to match the dials. Am I being a tad too hopeful lol.. The headunit must be USB.

Can anyone recommend good speakers etc?

Thanks.

Lee

ah yeah good one. 250 for the headunit ideally, but speakers is a bit of a question mark. Im more interested in the head unit for now. Ill do the speakers another day.. Maximum 300.

Holy s**t that's wicked. Lol. It isn't grey though, I don't mind if it's not a DVD screen etc as I don't know if ID use it.. USB and colour is great though! Unless I coloured or carbines wrapped the centre console

If you were planing on getting a facia then i would recommend the alpine x305. It's not grey, but if you get a black facia it looks good in the centre dash (gives a nice look with the black and silver), plus you can change the backlight of the headunit to red, which goes very nicely with the dash lights :)
I don't have a pictures of mine at hand, but if you wish, i can take some pictures tomorrow to show you how it looks.

Edit: link to headunit: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ida-x305.html - it mainly specifies being a ipod headunit, but it uses a usb connection, so any usb stick/player works well

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate, they're both lovely units. I'll have a look at the next meet of what they look like. Thing is I don't really Wang to change the centre console as a) I like it silver and b) putting carbon over it will mean I have do carbon wrap other bits. Otherwise it will look out of place.. Thanks for all your help :D

I think your right jermal. But do you think if I did my centre console in carbon fibre it would look s**te.. Anyone got a picture of it as I've never seen it before, I could go on detailing world forum and see how much someone would do this to my car for... I think ID rather have a black HU that matches the dials than a silver one that doesn't if that makes sense..

I think your right jermal. But do you think if I did my centre console in carbon fibre it would look s**te.. Anyone got a picture of it as I've never seen it before, I could go on detailing world forum and see how much someone would do this to my car for... I think ID rather have a black HU that matches the dials than a silver one that doesn't if that makes sense..

I think a carbon fibre centre console would look the nuts. Honda used to do a CF centre console, but I think it's been discontinued. The only problem I can see with CF wrap is that it would probably be a really tight fit. That might not be a bad thing though as it could stop any creaks. Also if you do the centre console, you'll have to do the othe silver bits to match.

I'm actually planning to do my HU surround in CF wrap in the future. The 3M stuff which moulds round when heated gives a very professional finish.

Yeah ID have to do the door handles inserts as well to make sure it's all the same. However I don't fancy taking my interior apart. And even if I did I a) have no one to do the carbon wrapping and b) need the car for work everyday lol..

Yeah ID have to do the door handles inserts as well to make sure it's all the same. However I don't fancy taking my interior apart. And even if I did I a) have no one to do the carbon wrapping and b) need the car for work everyday lol..

I'm going to do the carbon wrap myself. Looks quite easy. Have a look on YouTube.

I think it's being a bit unrealistic getting a HU with a silver finish to match the dash. The biggest problem being even if you do get one, it almost certainly won't be a good colour match for the centre console. It'll probably end up looking worse than a black head unit!

Yeah I thoughti was being a bit hopeful being honest. I don't fancy carbon wrapping my centre console my self but there's a massive thread on it on detailingworld. I'll have a read later and see how I get on. I think I'll go carbon and a black HU. Thanks for all your help lads :smt023

I have had a look at the Sony CDX-GT420u. I'll up load a picture later. But it's a silver HU with a black lip. The guy has given me a black lip that I can spray to match the silver centre console.. But he wants 179 including fitting. I don't know Id that's te right price so I'm going to do a bit of research to see if I am paying the right price and if i can search through folders on the USB :)

Thanks. I did find the link myself and had a bit of a nose. It looks like plenty of people on there have used it and had good results. This would suggest that it's quite easy to use.

I think I'll get a small sheet and do my centre console (which is a lot smaller on the Teg) and the side console where the push start button is. Probably won't get around to it until next month though.

Back