• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Best oil to use

Hi i have a type r. i use lucas 10w 40 semi synthetic, is this the best oil to use?

What would you recommend?

No it'll be fine, it's within the range that Honda recommend. If you really want to change then just wait until you're due an oil change.

Spot on, good advice. The Edge 0w-30 is a good quality synthetic. Many type r owners use the likes of the ester based synthetics, Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300v, Millers CFS, Gulf Comp to name a few and these are worth a look if you fancy moving to the next level up quality wise.

Cheers

Guy

Spot on, good advice. The Edge 0w-30 is a good quality synthetic. Many type r owners use the likes of the ester based synthetics, Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300v, Millers CFS, Gulf Comp to name a few and these are worth a look if you fancy moving to the next level up quality wise.

Cheers

Guy

Hi guy,

I bought this:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60213-millers-oils-xfs-5w-40-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
from yourself for the Type-R, I see you mention Millers CFS, have I picked the wrong one?

i bought castrol magnatec 5w - 30w is that ok to put in my car 55plate ctr? as ive lost my manual

It's okay, but not for hard use, just normal use on a shortened service schedule (5-6k)

mm i might go and swap it for castrol EDGE then is that for more hard use ?

Last edited by a moderator:
tesco motor oil FTW. 4 litres is about £8. wouldn't put it in a CTR though as its 10w/40.

There is a reason it's so cheap, it's ingredients are the cheapest most basic blend they can put together while still passing minimal specifications. I wouldn't use it in anything that I intended on keeping hold of for any period of time or that was worth more than £500. People may tell you that it's just relabelled Castrol, Shell, Mobil etc but it's not. It's made by one of those companies, but to a far inferior recipe than the oils they normally make.

Back