• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Best way to check oil level?

:lol: Dean told me about that.

Apparently you looked like you might :(

That was probably to do with the Skirts and not the Oil. Was just a bit shocked that my engine had drunk over 4 litres of oil in 6 months. Saying that, I had to put another litre in yesterday since I filled it up with Dean (two months or so). My engine is a thirsty girl! :lol:

If you put too much oil in you get loads of blue smoke out of your zorst & drivers wave & flash at you it's ace!!!! Just empty some out of the sump if this happens. Don't tell Honda though or they'll say they need to do an expensive engine strip down rebuild.

i usually check mine 15-30 mins after a drive, every few eeks to keep my eye on it. my engine doesnt seem to use much at all though, considering people say how the k20s use alot!

It is the only accurate way to get a reading, when the engine is cold and left over night, by checking the oil then you can see exactly what is in the sump :)

But the dipstick is calibrated for the oil to be warm and measured against the oil pump pick up.

If the oil level is measured cold then at operating temperature the level could well be low and you really don't want that, especially on track.

But the dipstick is calibrated for the oil to be warm and measured against the oil pump pick up.

If the oil level is measured cold then at operating temperature the level could well be low and you really don't want that, especially on track.

Who told you that??? :lol:

I have never had a problem with an oil related issue in ANY of the Landrovers/Leyland Daf/Bedford 4 ton/8ton - Coach 45/55 seater - CTR 02/Ep3 54/Dc5 51/EP3 03/EP3 52/EP3 51. Rover 214/216/220T I have owned/driven

Unless your running it on the minimum or max then imo it doesn't really matter imo. I do it warm or cold and while there is a difference it only a few millimetres and I've never had a problem.

Who told you that??? :lol:

I have never had a problem with an oil related issue in ANY of the Landrovers/Leyland Daf/Bedford 4 ton/8ton - Coach 45/55 seater - CTR 02/Ep3 54/Dc5 51/EP3 03/EP3 52/EP3 51. Rover 214/216/220T I have owned/driven

I hate this oil measuring argument. There's never a definitive answer. :lol:

IME I could only get an accurate reading when the engine was cold. I tried this immediately after a service so I knew exactly how much oil was in and the cold measurement was spot on.

'calibrated dipstick'

:lol:

dunno if it's true or not but what a phrase.

RTFM........... it tells you to check the oil when warm.
But, as long as it's near the maximum at cold then it will probably be above it at warm also. If at the minimum when cold, worry..............

But yes, it's got to be calibrated, do you think the min / max are just there for a laugh ??

I do it warm cold, as long as the reading isn't at the extremes it doesn't really matter imo.

I hate this oil measuring argument. There's never a definitive answer. :lol:

IME I could only get an accurate reading when the engine was cold. I tried this immediately after a service so I knew exactly how much oil was in and the cold measurement was spot on.

I did RTFM so STFU. :p :lol: I could never get a consistent reading when the engine was warm so I tried taking a reading when cold and it proved to be a much more reliable way of getting a measurement.

So you have a definitive answer, you just cant get a consistent reading against it ;)

The only times I've struggled to get a good reading when hot has been when the level was low and that was only on other peoples cars when checking for them. It could be worse, we could all drive around in Peugeot's which are renowned for having the measuring part of the dipstick snap off in the sump.

i tend to run the engine for about half an hour, just let it idle on the drive until it is well upto working temperature.

then whilst the engine is running swiftly remove the coolant cap and enjoy the first degree burns and air locks that ensue.

i tend to run the engine for about half an hour, just let it idle on the drive until it is well upto working temperature.

then whilst the engine is running swiftly remove the coolant cap and enjoy the first degree burns and air locks that ensue.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back