• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

blueguy's CW Facelift DC5 -Return to Track Pg 33

wow, those wheels look clean. whats it like on the track?? really like thse but just need to convice myself to change from DC2.

wow, those wheels look clean. whats it like on the track?? really like thse but just need to convice myself to change from DC2.

Having owned both, the DC2 is the hooligan youngster and the DC5 is more grown up and sensible. If you only want a weekend car and do some track days then a DC2 is the better drive, but the DC5 is the better choice if you're doing more miles.

Awesome rims :smt023

How much were they, they will look EXCELLENT when fitted 8)
Thanks dotty; I can't actually recall as I've got a set of Rays formula wheel nuts which were part of the invoice. They were serious wonga though mate, especially with the cack exchange rate.

What the wheels doing in the TGM stock room? Get them on :twisted:
Got a whole load of parts to complement them. Plus I don't want to keep taking them off/putting them on. As well as contemplating a set of Nitrons, I'll need to fit spacers + re-do my geo for aggressive road/mild track set up. All shall be reviewed in Jan hopefully.

Very easy to drive on track. As you would expect, you can make a lot of fast cars look ordinary in the corners. Never owned a DC2 to compare the 5 to, so would get more info from owners like Chris who've experienced both :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Small update. I've always thought the di-noc carbon vinyl wrap looked very good on interior trim pieces. However from a personal taste point of view I'm not really a fan of 'dry' carbon and didn't fancy wrapping and lacquering, so I ordered in some pieces from Japan and fitted them today. Before and After shots:

DSC00318.jpg
DSC00337.jpg

DSC00320.jpg
DSC00328.jpg

DSC00048.jpg
DSC00334.jpg

Note, the door handles were also carbon but I preferred the OEM burnt silver contrast, so swapped them over.

DSC00324.jpg
DSC00331.jpg

DSC00053.jpg
DSC00332.jpg

I dropped one of the handle trim securing screws behind the door card which is a bit poo. Something to remove when it gets a bit warmer I think :roll:. Not 100% happy with the handle surrounds as they utilise an OEM trim kit stuck on to the whole piece which means it of course fits/looks fine but is not a flush fit if that makes sense. I might order in some new ones that are flush and offload these :lol:

After all these photos I realised there was no picture with my head unit in so:

DSC00342.jpg

I've got a few more carbon pieces to go in but Tom will be fitting those not me :p

Nice work. I often wish my car came with that silver interior extra shizzle that was an option for dc5's.

Nice work. I often wish my car came with that silver interior extra shizzle that was an option for dc5's.

Setis it off nicely Stoobert. Whenever I see DC5's without it, especially around the passenger vents, something looks obviously missing.

Cheers guys.

Jermal, I picked them up off Japan auctions. A friend of mine bought them on my behalf and shipped them to me. I would hate to imagine what an intermediary company would charge for this.

I just realised I didn't explain what the pieces actually are. The trim pieces are not proper carbon fibre. They would be stupid money otherwise. TBH I'm not 100% sure how it's done, but the company uses a process called Carbon injection, which they apply to an OEM trim piece so you know fitment will be 100% perfect. They then lacquer it to protect it and add the shine. I've heard conflicting statements about how you can and can't lacquer di-noc so I really didn't want to go down down that route. I would definitely di-noc and lacquer if I knew it would create a finish I would like as it would work out a whole lot cheaper.

I'm pretty sure there is a gloss finish DiNoc style covering, but that doesn't detract from the effort you've pit in and the fact that they look superb.

So my car is at TGM's for its long awaited 'upgrade'.

It was actually dropped off last week where I spent 2hrs polishing/sealing my wheels and Tom and all the guys taking the **** out of me lol

DSC00606f.jpg8

Tom and I have been chasing parts that were ordered for over a year now so I'm pretty ecstatic the vital bits are here.

There are quite a few teething problems with the J's induction kit and RBC fitting together. The main problem is the induction hose, you can modify one and (really) force it to fit but it puts too much stress on the air box. Tom was definitely not happy with this so he's asked one of his contacts to make up a custom one which will hopefully be spun up on Monday. A new aircon pipe will be needed as well that's more flexible as there really isn't ANY room around the J's air box to manoever it to - the air box is so well made that it fills its position perfectly and of course is designed to fit a PRC perfectly as you would expect, definitely not a RBC :(
There's a hell of a lot of work involved to make the J's intake and RBC fit together, it makes the right hand side of the engine bay very tight. Sensor wires have had to be extended, all the hoses are crammed etc etc. I'm just very glad it's in Tom's hands as he doesn't compromise on quality of work.

Anyway, thanks to J, I found out Tom was around so I popped round for a quick chat and to take some snaps.

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

I was really surprised at how small the gap is between the TB and intake pipe. There's absolutely no way you could modify the typical SFS/Samco hose to fit.

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

Oh what else is that I spy?

DSC00617.jpg

It would only be rude not to match it up

DSC00623.jpg

There's the 2-1 section as well but the car wasn't on the ramps, so no photo.

Another potential issue which I've been aware of for a while is making the Limited Edition Buddy Club P1 Racing strut fit. Having now been able to look first hand at the clearance room above the airbox cover, it definitely won't fit. Perhaps Tom can work his magic with some altered bracket mounts for the airbox, but this is really low on the priority list at the mo.

DSC00630.jpg

DSC01657.jpg

Hi mate its John, we met at TGM on saturday. Intake and exhaust parts look fantastic mate! Can't wait to see this come together and get those waxed up wheels on :)

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Hi John, thanks for helping me shift my wheels from the stock room that day. I take it your car's all hunky dory? :)

Not a problem mate, was a pleasure! Yep my car feels great atm, nicely aligned and with a super light clutch, I never knew they were supposed to be that light, shows how worn my original one was! Diff feels great but am at Cadwell next weekend so will give it a proper test there, can't wait, keep me posted when your next on track, would be good to catch up again!

Back