• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Boredom Defined! (Exhaust Related)

Well, I was particularly bored at the weekend, and with my limited mechanical skills, decided to clean up and paint my OE and Spoon back boxes.

I have from time to time thought the Spoon N1 was a bit too loud with a fully stripped interior, so decided to swap it for the OE back box. I had a couple of spare cans of silver and black hi-temp VHT paint, so decided to clean up the OE back box, and spray it up.

I should have taken a pic of the OE box before hand, as it was filthy, with signs of corrosion all over. So I attacked it with a wire wheel attachment on a power drill, and also a bit of hand work with some wet and dry. Masked it up and sprayed the body of it silver, followed by more masking and the end sprayed black.

DSC01182.jpg

With the N1 off the car, I laid it down for a comparisson in size;

DSC01185.jpg

Needless to say, the OE box weighs a hell of a lot more as well!

So it was then on with the OE box, and letting the engine warm up to 'cure' the VHT, followed by a test drive.....

My car has a Spoon drop in, JDM 4-1 manifold, hi-flow cat and Spoon B pipe. With the OE box on, it is sooooo quiet. Sounds like stock (as you can imagine!) on tick over, and slightly louder as the revs build. In VTEC there was more of a growl than standard, but still remained very quiet in comparisson to before. As for any change in perofrmance, the lack of noise does fool you into thinking its not as quick, when in reality there is probably no difference. Maybe at the very end of the rev range, the OE felt slightly 'strangled' compared to the N1.

Anyhow, with the N1 off the car and looking very shabby for its 8 months on the car, I decided to give it similar treatment. Cleaned up as above, masked up the to the back of the silencer, and sprayed with black VHT paint.

DSC01189.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

With the N1 clean and painted, I stuck it back on the car. Although I was happy with the difference in noise the OE box gave, I do love my Spoon N1, and missed having my ears ring after a spirited drive!

So thats what I did when I was bored - Bit of a waste of time, but at least I have something to show for my time untill the paint all flakes off! LOL!

Finally here is a quick low quality clip of my exhaust system at full chat CLICKY!!!

Sounds completely evil! Good work too. 8)

At least the local wildlife in the next county know you are coming over and stay off the roads. :lol:

Fantastic job there. I will be doing the same sort of thing to the exhaust once my DC2 gets here depending on how well Newera clean it up

Say what product did you use to polish up N1?

Gave the box and tailpipe a wipe down with AutoGlym Intensive Tar remover, then polished with Autosol. The pipwork was cleaned up with an electric drill with a wire wheel attachment, wet sanded and then sprayed.

Back