• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Change in Brake Bite after MOT...

Hi,

I have noticed that after my last couple of MOT's my brakes feel really sharp and responsive - for about 50 - 80 miles...

Is this because a glaze builds up on the pads and when they stand on them in the MOT to test them, the glaze goes???

I'm not particulary heavy on the brakes and I don't thrash my car during the week - there is no point, the roads are far too busy. I do however, save it for the weekend and go for a burn (making up for the VTEC withdrawals in the week.) Obviously the brakes then get more heat in them and work well anyway...obviously they loose that bite when they go cool again. Why do they feel awesome after an MOT though? Anyone else experienced this?

They don't do anything to test the brakes as such in an mot.

Although they test the handbrake by putting the rear wheels on some rollers.

Try pumping the brake pedal a few times before your next journey with the engine off and then again after you start the engine and see if it has the same effect.
I noticed the same thing after my last MOT. Re bled my brakes and has felt consistently solid since. Guessing they pump the pedal a few times to check brake lights?

If you ave ever watched the MOT procedure, the car is turned on and off then run for a while over the testing period.

The brakes are pumped to check the lights at the start of the MOT.

The brake bias test works the brakes to a medium then full effort on the rollers. This is done for the foot brake on the front and back then the handbrake for the rears.

If the tester has had the car started and turned off in quick succession then the brake servo system will have no assistance leaving the pedal feeling 'solid'. It is nothing to do with glaze on the pads. The system builds its assistance within half a minute of driving again.

Back