• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Chewing gum in Recaro's! Grr

Any idea how to get it out? It's quite ingrained inbetween the threads. Have tried ice cubes and got the most of but can't seem to shift the rest!

Does anyone know of a product I could get to shift the rest or another method?

I've had this problem, cant remember how i resolved it. Either way "Cold" or "Hot" will get it out... Friction, keep rubbing! Anyhow, how did this happen?

I was sitting on a wall earlier today and then jumped in my car without realising! Gutted!

I don't want to wreck the fibres in the seat though, it's really stuck inbetween them. How would I fetch the rest out once I've froze it!

Here's a picture of the last bits I can't seem to shift.

9316f577.jpg

Mate I was about to say take a photo... i would get a needle and begin the painful procedure of picking at each part being careful not to pull on the chair... Thats the only thing. Looks like most of it is out, but this has got into the depth of the chair...Thats the only way. Another idea is to get a hankerchief and iron over it...this will melt the chewing cum into a liquid form, then immediately dab with a dry cloth or better still some kitchen towel!

If you have used an ice cube, try compressed air also...This will freeze it better then an ice cube, then pick with a needle.

Any compressed air will do the trick... To stay liquid, the temp in that bottle is around -100c.. just make sure your car doesnt snap in 2. You'll need to do bit by bit.. Spray it on for a few seconds, then if its not working, try longer. good news is with compressed air, it wont damage your Recaros....Its....Well.....AIR! you can have some fun with Compressed air also! Try spraying a rose petal for a while...then stamp in it! It will shatter, it has the same properties as Liquid Nitrogen!

One small warning...Dont inhale it, I said its air, not Oxygen! I think I am right in saying that spraying upside down, it comes out as a liquid...upright is a gas!

To stay liquid, the temp in that bottle is around -100c..

Didn't want to be nitpicking but I can't see how the can that be true? You wouldn't be able to hold the thing in your hand if it were -100°C. I think it only gets cold when the compressed air expands at the nozzle back to a gas or something...

Either way, I think freezing the gum is the way to do it, I saw a chemistry teacher get gum off a blazer with liquid nitrogen once.

Didn't want to be nitpicking but I can't see how the can that be true? You wouldn't be able to hold the thing in your hand if it were -100°C. I think it only gets cold when the compressed air expands at the nozzle back to a gas or something...

Either way, I think freezing the gum is the way to do it, I saw a chemistry teacher get gum off a blazer with liquid nitrogen once.

I like the way your thinking, and your partly right.. in depth... the temperature inside the can is -20c depending on the product this could differ. When the air hits the atmosphere, it creates a reaction which requires energy (temperature). Thus increasing from -20C to -100C.

All compressed air/deodrant cans are made from Aluminium... Aluminium bounces back the temperature around it, in this case, the inside stays cold, and the outside reflects the temperature of the atmosphere (room temp)

Thanks for posts guys, got the most of it out now, just the little bits left really. Would the compressed air wreck the recaro's if it's frozen and i take a toothbrush to them and lightly scrub? Don't want to pull the threads thats all.

Slightly off topic, though could anyone recommend some decent interior cleaning products to give the seats a spruce up?

I like the way your thinking, and your partly right.. in depth... the temperature inside the can is -20c depending on the product this could differ. When the air hits the atmosphere, it creates a reaction which requires energy (temperature). Thus increasing from -20C to -100C.

All compressed air/deodrant cans are made from Aluminium... Aluminium bounces back the temperature around it, in this case, the inside stays cold, and the outside reflects the temperature of the atmosphere (room temp)

Increasing the temperature would make it go from -100 to -20 ??

Expansion of gas from a liquid state is all down to the thermodynamic laws and the Joule-Thomson effect. This states that an expanding a gas will require energy as its molecules move away from each other. Depending on the surrounding temperature there can be an increase or decrease in temperature - in the case of compressed air/CO2 and nitrogen, they take enthalpy [heat] from the surroundings to move from liquid to gaseous state.

The Joule-Thompson effect takes into account the valve that the gas moves through as it exits the can. Cans are made from Al because it is a light and strong material capable of holding the pressure without weighing too much. Heavier gases require stronger bottles ie. steel Calogen vessels.

I'm no physicist so I may be slightly wrong in the above...

Autoglym Interior shampoo is decent stuff. :)

hi buddy just had this problem use autoglym tar and glue remover and do a test patch just in case it takes colour out of the cloth.
spray on shoul loosen it use a little pick/rough sponge then hoover it then wet and dry seat to remove all of the tar and glue

Cheers for the replies dude, managed to get near enough all of it out now. Not looking bad at all! Whilst cleaning though I found a crack in my centre console! :evil:

Probably a bit late now but a friend of mine used to use CO2 fire extinguishers to freeze chewing gum.

Back