• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Could you fit a 215 or 225 on a standard 205 CTR rim?

its to do with heat disappation. a wider tyre will retain heat longer and has less risk of over heating.

grip is friction. Friction is a product of the weight of the car and the co effieicent of friction (which is a constant for a given rubber compound and road surface)

Yes, and I'd like some curb protection. the 205's appear to acutally present the rim to the curb! I'm hoping the 215's might have a couple of mm more on the width.

its to do with heat disappation. a wider tyre will retain heat longer and has less risk of over heating.

grip is friction. Friction is a product of the weight of the car and the co effieicent of friction (which is a constant for a given rubber compound and road surface)

This is true, but in reality I dont think it's that simple. There must be benefits for wider tyres, for track work, otherwise like was mentioned before; racing teams would use narrow tyres for qualifying (when there is limited use of the tyre.)
Does that not assume that the orientation of the tyres is constant and weight distributed evenly accross the tyre. I would think via some means more rubber will help in the corners (when the stress in certain parts of the tyre is going to be larger than others.) I could be wrong though.

most racing series have a specific size which they must use, this may or may not be optimum but I agree it may sometimes be benificial to use a narrow tyre like you said. What you are reffering to about stress in certain parts of the tyre is known as slip angle. The slip angle of a tyre is the angle between the direction of travel and the direction of the tyre as any given instance. A tyre has a maximum cornering force which occours at a given slip angle, if you exceed this the tyre will loose traction and slide. The whole idea behind suspension set up is to keep a tyre at a slip angle which provides more cornering force.

Ture so there for with the negative camber of your car you could have less rubber on the road and less grip. I would have thought honda would have put wider tyres on them if they thought they needed them. Also with wider tyres you can make the car handle worse because you start to have problems with tramlining and other things

I want to go for the 215 as it offers a bit of protection to the rim if I ever rub a curb lol. I wouldnt have thought 215 would make much difference with grip

I would propose that any differences will be negligable when changing from a 205 to a 215, or vice versa. I'm certainly not worried about tramlining/handling problems.

Yes, and I'd like some curb protection. the 205's appear to acutally present the rim to the curb! I'm hoping the 215's might have a couple of mm more on the width.

This is true, but in reality I dont think it's that simple. There must be benefits for wider tyres, for track work, otherwise like was mentioned before; racing teams would use narrow tyres for qualifying (when there is limited use of the tyre.)
Does that not assume that the orientation of the tyres is constant and weight distributed evenly accross the tyre. I would think via some means more rubber will help in the corners (when the stress in certain parts of the tyre is going to be larger than others.) I could be wrong though.

Sorry but i read that as you saying teams may want to run a narrow tyre in quali

question:
What is the OEM CTR rim width?

And I can't see how wider tyres don't improve grip... There must be a reason high performance cars use 300+ tyres and oltimer 22hp fiat 500's use 95 or so
I do know, wider tyre have more rolling resistance, and increasing too much, from 225 to 265 like a friend of mine did on his BMW, made the car lose all of its acceleration and lost around 15miles of top speed due to not having enough power for this tyre width.

I myself was thinking of Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyres 215-45/17.

question:
What is the OEM CTR rim width?

7" Off the top of my head.

question:
And I can't see how wider tyres don't improve grip...
There must be a reason high performance cars use 300+ tyres and oltimer 22hp fiat 500's use 95 or so

When considering the engineering definition of "Friction" it doesn't, as surface (or contact area) does not factor into the equation, it seems practically though in terms of actual cornering ability that wider = better, due to a variety of reasons probably.

It seems logical, as motorbikes have a much lower contact area (about half the size of a credit card) and still manage to corner at comparable speeds to a car.

question:
I myself was thinking of Eagle F1 GS-D3 tyres 215-45/17.
These tyres are generally pretty well recieved. A bit more expensive than the falkerns though.

Back