• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR to DC2

Harvey said:
need some advice.. am I crazy?
Nope I don't think so. As has been said above the DC2 will probably depreciate more slowly as it's becoming a bit of a classic. It is an older design and feels dated in some respects but if you care about the driving experience then the shortcomings are easy to overlook. Just choose carefully and enjoy 8)

Trung said:
It's a completely different car.

No shiz Sherlock :lol: *Sorry Trung....couldn't resist*

I'd have no worries changing to a DC2 from a CTR tbh.
Saying that I've not driven one, but if it's more focused than my DC5 it must be a real hoot to drive :wink:

Gunn79 said:
I am happy with my change from a CTR to a DC2. It saved me money, and I reckon in 6 months time my 2000 (W) DC2 will be worth more than my old 53 CTR the way prices are plummeting!

The roads where I live are pretty much all B and A roads, narrow and twisty. For me, the DC2 suits this better than the CTR did. However, if I lived in an area where I regularly used a dual carriageway/motorway etc... then I think I would miss my CTR a lot more!

I was worried about changing a 53 reg car for an older car, which is partly why I searched long and hard for a late model DC2 with low mileage. In the end I bought mine with 47K miles, registered July 2000. But TBH, as long as you buy sensibly, with a good history, and older UK car shouldnt be a problem (cant comment on imports).

Also I bought mine through a Honda dealer, which meant I paid a bit more, but I was also able to wangle a great deal on a 15 month Honda warranty, just for peace of mind :wink:

Great post Gunn. 8)

For those who are not aware, my EP3 will soon be sold and a JDM DC2 is the next Type R on my wishlist. :wink:

That new 4 door CTR is very desirable but I do not know what my financial situation will be when they become available for import.

am i not right in saying that although the K20a is 10kg lighter ish than the B18c6, the gear box is heavier by about that amount than the one on the b18. so its actually about even weighted.

stew said:
am i not right in saying that although the K20a is 10kg lighter ish than the B18c6, the gear box is heavier by about that amount than the one on the b18. so its actually about even weighted.

Thats what I have heard as well. :)

Evs said:
HorrificVTEC said:
Forget ep3 and dc5 (not driven a dc5, but I've heard...
:roll:

I've heard this from many a person, so although it doesn't really carry any weight, it was worth saying. If I ever drive a dc5 and find that it's amazing, I'll be raving about it... but I wouldn't be able to justify the prices they demand (which are starting to fall admittedly) or the insurance.

Looks like you''ve become one of those DC2 snobs you used to oh so hate?

Yeah I know :(. But really, care to point out how I'm actually being a snob? There are those that have dc2s and just go "oh, ep3s are shite" whereas I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who had an ep3, got a dc2 and found it better in almost every way, even comfort in day to driving (that's probably just me solely though...)

As an all round performance hatchback, the CTR is an awesome car and I will always recommend them to anyone... but for someone who has a CTR and wants to get more into the driving experience, a dc2 is the way to go.

I believe ages and ages ago, I made a reference to when I had my ep3 and some guy in a dc2 was talking to me and basically started ripping me to shreds because my car didn't have LSD and was new etc. That's more of a snobby attitude. His car wasn't in the greatest shape either, so I got the feeling he was jealous that mine was clean and only a few years old etc. Also, I was still working at a damn cinema at the time and had the car outside (was waiting to change to my current job) so he probably thought I was some rich kid\criminal.

Being fair to the CTR, it was a cheaper car to begin with (£17,000 brand new, whereas dc2s were over 20k back in 1997) so it's forgiveable that it's less focused and maybe not put together as well... all I'm saying in this thread is that going from a CTR to a dc2 is the right thing to do if you're after more excitement and that the age of the car shouldn't be a concern in this case.

The CTR is definitely worthy of the Type-R badge, but the dc2s represent a probably bygone era of Hondas where they really were focused... and if you can pick up a mint one for the same money, if not less than your CTR, I'd say go for it definitely.

HorrificVTEC said:
Can't believe some of you think that a car made in 1998-99 makes it old school?! Just get over it, the dc2 may look dated but they were put together way better than the ep3s were.

Can't believe that you don't read post properly :wink: an H22A7 motor is Old skool VTEC compared to a K20A. How old is the H22 design? I'm guessing its not 98-99. In my book that makes it old skool enough.

kingy wrote said:
I can confirm that Old Skool VTEC is indeed much better than all this i-VTEC stuff

Apologies if our terminology differs from yours :p but I've got "Old Skool VTEC" on my number plate and I'm proud of it :)

kingy said:
Can't believe that you don't read post properly :wink: an H22A7 motor is Old skool VTEC compared to a K20A. How old is the H22 design? I'm guessing its not 98-99. In my book that makes it old skool enough.

Ah, but I was responding to your fears of it going bang!

HorrificVTEC said:
it doesn't really carry any weight, it was worth saying
Hmmm. It doesn't support your 'advice' to 'forget the DC5' though does it?

I should point out that what I'm taking issue with here is the basis of your argument, ie secondhand folklore, not anything else...

...because I agree totally with this:
HorrificVTEC said:
all I'm saying in this thread is that going from a CTR to a dc2 is the right thing to do if you're after more excitement and that the age of the car shouldn't be a concern in this case.

the dc2s represent a probably bygone era of Hondas where they really were focused... and if you can pick up a mint one for the same money, if not less than your CTR, I'd say go for it definitely

I did the swop, but via 330d.
If you like driving and you like Honda Vtec's then you cannot go wrong. My only word of caution is that the DC2 is a raw car. It is noisey and has a very firm ride, but the feedback and handling is another level. Honda spent a lot of time and money developing the DC2, a lot more than the current Type R's. However they are a lot more 'modern' in feel and equipment.
HTH Tim

HorrificVTEC said:
kingy said:

Ah, but I was responding to your fears of it going bang!

Why didn't you say that then numpty! ;) I've no doubt your right, but going from a whizzy K20 to a camy H22 takes a little getting used to. It does get better by the day though :)

Yeah, the engine is old school (I think the b-series engine was first used in 1989 and the H22 shortly after?) but the car being made in 1999 means it should have years of life left.

Your Accord looks awesome, by the way!

HorrificVTEC said:

Why thankee, I kinda think so too. 8)

Just need sa few subtle styling mods like silvertec bulbs but not a lot else otherwise. Power mods only for me :)

kingy said:
HorrificVTEC said:

Why thankee, I kinda think so too. 8)

Just need sa few subtle styling mods like silvertec bulbs but not a lot else otherwise. Power mods only for me :)

LOL, first mod on the Golf for Foxy will be silvatec bulbs for the front and possibly the sides :lol:

Interesting thread, and kinda confirms what I find too..

I used to have a 1991 CR-X coupe SiR with lotsa mugen bits, some 6 years ago.... One of the most fun cars I've ever had. Mental, small and endowed with fantastic "alive" handling... My first experience of a V-Tec.
From there, I owned a 2002 S2000 for 2 years, but that's gone now too..

I've driven a fair number of DC2's now, most of them of 98 Spec, although we had a DB8 Type R some time ago too. Also driven all sorts of DC5's, from completely standard to one crazy one which had around £16K spent in it in Japan with Honda Twin Cam, before we bought it for stock in 2004 (Wonder if the UK owner's a member here, come to think of it..!).

I find I definitely without any doubt prefer 98 Spec DC2's to the DC5's. The way the V-Tec comes in is just so much more exciting and exhillarating and sounds much more like a racecar in the zone..The handling is significantly sharper too, when comparing 2 standard cars..

Enthusiasts and magazines in Japan also agree. The general consensus here is that the DC2 handles better and is a faster car as standard.

The 98 Spec is still strongly sought after in Japan if mint and low mileage, although in fairness, so is the DC5.

I've never driven an EP3, as we don't import them from Japan to the UK, but they're rare in Japan too. Not a popular model here, presumably because it's priced the same as a DC5 when new. See them from time to time, but it's rare... So with that model, I can't judge - except to read here, but I can safely say, the three most exsciting V-Tecs are DC2, the AP1 S2000 and the EK9, in that order.

Don't under estimate the fun an S2000 can be - it's a lot of car for the money and huge fun. With tuning it's even better, but so's the DC2!

Shameless plug :!: We have two 98 Spec DC2's (Mugen kitted one's my favourite of the 3) and an as new facelift DC5 in stock. Full details on our stock page.

Cheers,

Miguel.

Went to my local honda dealer to buy a EP3 CTR, by chance they had a ITR sitting on the forecourt, managed to get a test drive in both, have to say the CTR simply felt boring after the Teg...needless to say i bought the Teg :D The only time i wished i had bought the CTR was this summer when i was stuck in traffic and the temp was 30+ :oops: My firend ended buying the CTR...hehe i kinda of feel sorry for him everytime i see him in it :p

Kingy - An ATR is a damn good choice one of the best FWD handling cars out there 8)
How does it compare to the CTR ?

I'm very tempted to go back to type-r but will either be a track based DC2 or ATR, oh yes i may be coming back :twisted:

Matt_D said:
Kingy - An ATR is a damn good choice one of the best FWD handling cars out there 8)
How does it compare to the CTR ?

I'm very tempted to go back to type-r but will either be a track based DC2 or ATR, oh yes i may be coming back :twisted:

Hey Matt, How ya doing?
Plus points over the CTR - THe power delivery, VTEC, the noise, the seats the pull out of corners, the stabilty at high speed the steering feedback...... Its a long list mate. The ATR is a very good car :)

Minus points, H22A7 engine is noisy and I'm still getting used to the tappy nature. 5 gears :( missing the shorter ratios, esp as you need to get 1st-2nd gear change bang on otherwise you drop out of VTEC. As its an older car it needs a bit more TLC, had to get it up on stands today to retighten the manifold to downpipe bolts. :shock:

I'll let you know just how it really compares in about 5 weeks when it goes on track for the first time :twisted: Until then, I know it stays with CTR thru gears 1-4 ;)

Back