• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dan & Owen's EP3 Race + Track Build

Hi!

I've been a member of this forum for some time, i love my Type R's! Having raced a DC2 with my good friend Owen, we switched to a Porsche for a few years of RWD fun and games, but decided to come back to Honda, and build an EP3 race car. I'm amazed that more EP3's don't get turned into proper race cars; as you all know, the base car is so well suited to the track in standard form, it really doesn't need that much spent on it, to become a properly brilliant racing + track car!

Here are our goals:

1) Build a 175BHP/Tonne Racing car, to compete in the MSV Trackday Trophy (Class B)
2) Must be road legal
3) Must still be comfortable enough for 2 people to drive to the Nurburgring + back in comfort (without returning with spinal damage...)
4) Must be cheap (no specific budget, but no £10K supercharger kits) - we're aiming for intelligent mods that improve the car, rather than spending ££££

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BASE CAR
• I bought the EP3 in 2012
• Cost: £2,800
• 94,000 Miles
• Full Service History
• I did nothing to the car, and 4 days later drove it to the Nurburgring for a couple of days of full-on fun!
• Here's a lap from the trip. Many of you will have seen this on the forum already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8y6b...ature=youtu.be

THE BUILD

Here's an overview of what we're doing to the car:
Engine
• AEM Cold Air Intake
• RBC inlet manifold
• Baffled sump
• Energy engine mount inserts
• Energy gearbox poly mounts
• Engine torque damper
• Heatproof Exhaust + Inlet manifold gaskets
• Hondata Remap (210BHP)
• Race exhaust

Gearbox
• New gearbox + synchro's
• LSD
• Solid gear shift bushes
• Facelift flywheel (lighter)

Chassis
• Tein Coilovers
• Front Camber bolts
• Rear camber arms
• Rigid front subframe collars
• Geo set up
• JDM ARB

Brakes
• S2000 brake discs
• Race Pads
• 5.1 Brake Fluid
• Spoon braided hoses

Race Bits
• OMP roll cage
• Fire extinguisher system
• Cut off switches
• Bonnet pins
• Drivers Race Seat + harness
• Keep the existing passenger seat + standard belt
• Race Steering Wheel + boss
• Advan A048's

PHOTOS
Original Car

The Race Prep

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll keep updating this thread as and when we get more work done. The goal is to have it finished and on track before Christmas. January + February will be about Me and Owen putting miles on the car, and getting familiar with it, and then March is RACE TIME!!!!

Dan

nice lap of the ring! hopefully head over there next year!

will definitely keep an eye on this thread!

OK... Happy Christmas everybody!

Sorry for the radio silence. Here's a very brief update. We saw some great progress on Christmas Eve. The car went in to have the following fitted:

Uprated Anti-Roll bar
Accord manifold
Polybushes
Subframe Collars
"New" FN2 gearbox with LSD, Carbon synchro's
Tein Coilovers, rear + front camber bolts / arms
Brake refurb
AEM Long arm cold air intake
Lightweight flywheel
New clutch kit

Lots of small mods, but once they're all done, they'll all add up to a really great little track car. We've still got ltd more to do - remap, geometry, camber set up, but all in all, this'll be a competitive little racer, costing around £5-6K all in

We've planned a weekend away to the Nurburgring + Spa in April, so the goal is to get everything else done in the next month or so, spend a few track days getting the car set up properly, and then comparing our 2014 lap with the 2013 lap, when the car was completely standard

Fun times!

Dan (sorry for the crappy photos, but hopefully it gives you a rough idea of the work we're doing...)

Looks good, why s2000 discs though? They do not fit as the disc offset is 7mm different. Unless you are doing the dc5 brembo caliper conversion?

OK, after over a year's gap, we're back on the case!!!

The reasons why it has taken so long are too long to list, but we've made some good progress.

We've fitted used, but refurbished TIEN coil overs. Not braided brake hoses too:

Next up, Roll cage was fitted. This is FIA spec, so we can be sure of the safest car possible while racing...

Torque Damper for the engine (you'll see why we need it soon!)

AEM Cold Air Intake to let the engine breathe easier

Now we're getting to the good bits... We bought a Hondata, took the car to TDi North. What a fantastic bunch of guys. We'd experienced some 'average' race tuners, but TDi were worth every penny. They helped with a lot of this second wave of prep work, including a custom re-map, bringing the power (Dyno'd) up to approx 240PS

Race seat fitted, Waiting for a race wheel + Boss to go in

Extinguisher needed for racing

Seat and Harnesses

Cut off switches are now in

I'll post back in a week or two once the car is finished. We're looking at about 230HP / Tonne, so it should be pretty rapid!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Back