• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Davek's Supercharged FN2

Hey people

Thought I'd put a post up to show off what I been doing with my time over the last week so here it goes.

Spec :-

Comptech Engineering Stage 2 Superchager
RC650cc Injectors
Greddy Sparkplugs
TDI Headers
Gruppe M
Hondata Flashpro
Hondata Thermal Gasket
Red Samco Induction, Breather & Coolant Hoses
Mugen Oil Cap
Mugen Reservoir Socks
Carbon Fibre Sparkplug Cover

Tuned by Romain @ Artech/Eurospec2000

With me being particular about who works on my car and my theory on getting more pleasure out of the car knowing I done work myself on it, I decided to do the conversion to save money and to know it was done right.
I decided on Romain to do my mapping after hearing nothing but good things about his work & recommended him by James@Touge who I trust & have known very well for years and after a call to him he seemed really keen with a great knowledge of Hondas & generally a really friendly person....no disrespect for other tuners as I did call TDI South and they seemed to have a great knowledge too & I know they could work wonders after seeing Terrys cars results.

Day 1

Started on Saturday around midday (abit late in the day I know!) and after sending out a message to a few friends about me starting the project, I was paid alot of visits which really didnt help me get things done as I kept stopping to talk and catch up with friends I hadnt seen in months. It must have looked like a scene out the fast and furious outside my house with various Jap machines turning up throughout the day (RX7, Supercharged Corolla, JDM EP3) :D

I started off searching through boxes of parts....

DSC08731.jpg

Then I started working my way through the instructions (which were pretty good, explained everything pretty well) with my bro jumping ahead whenever possible to confuse things and doing little bits like changing injectors over on the fuel rail and sorting out the new sparkplugs to save time later on.

Suprisingly everything came apart really easily, the worst part of the job was removing all the bumper, grill, undertray and 1 bolt on the manifold which was just awkward to get to....everything else was easy.

Some pics we snapped through the day.....

DSC08727.jpg

DSC08729.jpg

DSC08732.jpg

DSC08730.jpg

DSC08733.jpg

DSC08734.jpg

27948_390007760879_663925879_457972.jpg

End of day 1 we had the manifold on, injectors built up, plugs in & new plug cover & oil cap on I decided to call it a day as it was beer o'clock and had my mates moaning at me.

Day 2

After a night on the beer and rolling in at silly o'clock I was surprisingly up again at 7.30 ready to get cracking, a quick wake up call to my assistant (my bro) and we started working away....the day started off looking very grey with a little bit of light rain then slowly started to get abit harder at which point we thought we should set the gazebo up and work through it, all good until the gazebo started leaking like a sieve and trying to take off when the worst weather ever hit.....

DSC08737.jpg

DSC08738.jpg

After fighting trying to hold it down we decided we'd have to retire for a while so the gazebo was quickly pulled down and chucked in the garage and rain halted play for 3 or 4 hours, with time getting on and the weather still not changing we just decided that we had to get on as I wanted it ready for the next day to take to the BHP show.
Armed with my mates trusty fishing umbrella we took it in turns to work whilst the other shielded you with the umbrella, luckily where we had got to meant there wasnt major amounts to do really, just getting the belt on and tensioned and then piping up and and putting all the little bits on.

Engine was all buttoned up and ready for reflash by 9pm, so I jumped in and put on the JRSC basemap from the flashpro as the CTSC basemap wasnt set for the 650cc injectors.

Uploading....

DSC08752.jpg

DSC08753.jpg

Once all the base map was loaded on and everything checked over 1 last time it was time to prime the fuel rail and fire it up.....my heart was going a million miles an hour as although I trusted my work I still wasnt 100% on the map and if it was gonna be ok, anyway started her up for the first time at 9.15pm and checked all the readings on flashpro manager and everything seemed good due to the time though it was just left idling and checking for leaks etc then that was it for day 2.

Day 3 - D Day

Day 3 started with a 6.30 wake up call from my bro begging to get up and get all the bumper, grill and everything back on so we could take it out today to the show....being a sucker for peer pressure I agreed and by 7.30 it was ready to go.

The morning of the test run.....

DSC08755.jpg

Using the Jackson Racing base map on the Flashpro I wasnt totally sure how it would go so took it nice and gentle slowly using abit more of the revs as time went on but happy to say it didnt miss a beat.

Here she is finished....

DSC09017.jpg

DSC09019.jpg

DSC09018.jpg

I got it booked in for mapping with Artech/Eurospec 2000 on Thursday (Great since I rang them Tuesday at 4pm!) and gotta say I was well impressed with Romains knowledge of Hondas and mapping, he started off checking the base map and said it was running ok & safe but wasn't ideal to do to much on it as it was quite near the limits.

DSC08988.jpg

He then spent about 2-3 hours locked away in the dyno doing run after run making slight alterations to see what works and what didnt, all the time I was in the waiting room watching through the windows and on the screen showing everything he was seeing on his screen....I couldnt take my eyes off it. The room did have a stack of Jap mags and TV with DVD and PS2 yet I found it more interesting watching graphs.

DSC08991.jpg

Start of tuning....only going to 6k to check fueling etc.

DSC08994.jpg

DSC08995.jpg

DSC08996.jpg

Showing some alterations being made....

DSC08998.jpg

DSC08999.jpg

Then winding up the revs more.....

DSC09002.jpg

Once he finished the mapping he had got it 235.5bhp at the wheels which worked out to 279.4bhp at the flywheel with a rev limit of 8200rpm, but after mentioning the rev limit on the group N map he changed it for me and upped it to 8500-8600rpm which would have definatly put it over 280bhp mark. :)

DSC09021.jpg

DSC09022.jpg

Romain did say at the start before mapping that he found that if I was chasing high numbers the dyno dynamics rollers werent the best for it as he found they often gave a lower reading than alot of other places but for mapping they done the job fine and as long as its running ok and safe then I can always go to a few others and see what figures they give me compared to that set.

Once it was off the rollers Romain asked me to take him out for a test drive to make sure I was happy with it and so he could do some datalogging on the road, once we got on a nice empty straight I gave it abit and he said he was well impressed with how quick it was and said it definatly felt quicker than the 280bhp readout it had got. :D

Also forgot to mention my headers were actually blowing too where they bolt onto the block but I didnt have time to fix this before the mapping so it could have lost a slight bit of power on that.

First opinions after getting it all mapped properly was that it was awesome!!! :D Definatly recommend it to anyone wanting serious increases in power, for the money and gains you get with N/A tuning you are better off biting the bullet and putting that extra bit down and going S/C'd. With it fitted you can drive normally and not really tell its there but when you want to go theres no need to drop it down a gear or two its just power instantly. :D:D:D

If you do go down this route the extras you will definatly need will be uprated brakes, the standard ones are terrible on a standard CTR but with the extra power you might aswell have none at all, they fade after the first normal brake.
In the long term your better going for uprated clutch and whilst the gearbox is apart definatly have a diff fitted to help with the extra load, I am using mine as a everyday car so it doesnt get launched hard or anything so the clutch should be good for a while. **Fingers Crossed**

So now onto the next stages :-
  • Brakes
  • Lowering
  • Fast Road Setup
Anyway can't think of anything else to write so any questions or anything ask away :D

:smt023

Great write up and some food for thought there bud. I'm going to get Flashpro then header in the next 12 months fingers crossed.

Definitely get the Fast Road Set-Up done as soon as possible, it's is amazing how much difference it makes.

Cracking write up mate, Nice to see a supercharged FN2, cant be many around.. Where did you get the charger from if you dont mind my asking?

Fantastic write up & good on you for doing the work yourself :)
The curves are awesome, the torque is as flat as you like!!!

:smt023

Great write up and some food for thought there bud. I'm going to get Flashpro then header in the next 12 months fingers crossed.

Definitely get the Fast Road Set-Up done as soon as possible, it's is amazing how much difference it makes.

Yeah that and brakes are the next things on my list as they are the major let downs now. Romain said the FRSU totally transforms the car and makes it how Honda should have done in the first place.

really good read. FN2's are starting to grow on me.

Yeah don't give up on the FN2s yet, they might not have the suspension and lighterweight of the EP3 in standard but now Japan has got them you can expect to see some people changing opinions. :D

Cracking write up mate, Nice to see a supercharged FN2, cant be many around.. Where did you get the charger from if you dont mind my asking?

Yeah theres only 1 other 1 that I know of in the UK with this kit on which TDI have done and are doing some press work with now so it will probably start popping up in mags etc soon. I got the charger off a member on civinfo, DMS motorsport (http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/news/comptech-engineering-official-dealers/2009/11/20/) are the official UK dealers of CT engineering superchargers now though.

Fantastic write up & good on you for doing the work yourself :)
The curves are awesome, the torque is as flat as you like!!!

Cheers mate, yeah it wasnt too bad a job but why not try these things yourself....gives you more satisfaction when its done and gives you more pennies for petrol at the end. :D

looks a very good project well done on doing it yourself very brave! you local to wiltshire then if you know james?

No im not, im from Kent, James used to live up here and I ended up on a forum he used to run then ended up as admin on the forum.....alot of the groups used to wander between sites so everyone knew each other quite well.

No im not, im from Kent, James used to live up here and I ended up on a forum he used to run then ended up as admin on the forum.....alot of the groups used to wander between sites so everyone knew each other quite well.
ahh right yeah i met james in warminster he was with a guy off that forum with a black golf with porka wheels

ahh right yeah i met james in warminster he was with a guy off that forum with a black golf with porka wheels

Ahh that would be Nick, I lowered that Golf for him on coilovers! Looks awesome on the porker rims!!! Just needed a good tidy up

Nothing more satisfying that doing alot of the work yourself, good write up mate. The charger looks huge too.
Where abouts in Kent are you?

I'm in Maidstone mate, good to have a few members around the local area actually. Will have to do a meet or something soon.
When I'm on the A249 I will make sure I get out the way if a Milano creeps up behind me :lol:

Back