• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Dazza's NHB Civic Type R 259.5bhp

The day finally came, yesterday I made the 3hr15min journey up to Leyland to pay Stevie at visit, to have a exedy stage 1 clutch, carbon lined synchros and a M Factory LSD fitted plus also a FRSU. I decided to do it in a day, I considered staying up there but with work the day before and things to do the day after I decided against it. Woke up at 4:30 out the door by 4:50, filled up and on my way by 5:00. Made good time, sat nav predicted 3hr44 done it in 3hr15. Stevie turned up about 10 minutes after me shortly followed by Grandad.

The workshop massively impressed me, nice, clean, tidy and bright. All my parts were laid out on the bench ready for the guys to have a quick tea and get to work. They both had a chat with me about the work being carried out and answered any questions I had clearly and thoroughly. Stevie showed me a picture of the inside of the LSD and gave me an explanation into how it works.

The first thing they did was measure the track with of the car for the geometry set up later on. After that Grandad got the car on the ramp and started stripping whilst Stevie started to build the diff. They never try to get you to leave, they're more than happy to chat to you as they work and have you around. Even so not wanting to get in the way I wandered down the road jumped on the train left them to it and grabbed a couple of little bits I needed in Preston.

I returned to find my gear box completely built and ready to be re fitted, which they promptly did with ease. Now the next bit impressed me and really showed their WRC/ Motorsport backgrounds, as they refitted every part, every bolt was nipped up hand tight and torqued up to the correct settings, not something you see very often. With it all built back up, Stevie took it for a quick spin to make sure everything was ok.
Once he had returned they squared the car up and started on the tracking, Grandad noticed instantly the nearside front wheel was toeing in massively. They took some measurements and sorted the front and rear camber out, then sorted the toe angles out. The car was tracked not so long ago by my local tyre place and had never felt right. I'd been planning on taking it to TGM but never got round to it. Some of the settings were virtually bang on, a couple were a mile out though.

All road tested and day almost done (for me anyway, Stevie and Grandad still had a BMW Z4 diff to refit before their Easter holiday could start), I asked Stevie about uprated exhaust mounting rubbers, he only had one in stock but not wanting to disappoint or let me leave empty handed, he done no less than pop round to the local buddy club stockist and grabbed me a set.
Unfortunately due to leaving bang on rush hour and my return journey being mostly motorway and not getting in till 21:00 I haven't had chance to give the car a PROPER test yet, but the tracking feels a million times better, the car feels a lot tighter and more stable. The LSD feels good as well, you throw the car into a corner, foot down and it just goes round.

A quick but big thank you to Stevie and Grandad, all the good things you read and hear about them is 100% true. They are both helpful, knowledgeable and very thorough. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Thanks For reading (if you still are:)) think I waffled on a bit there.

Darren

Will add pictures in a bit, not that there's a great deal to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodies waiting for me

M Factory Sticker, not 100% on this yet may come off, is growing on me in this position though

And finally a picture of car and sticker

and note the new Climair wind deflectors ^^^

Spec list updated on page 8

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mate great write up from Grinspeed.

I knew you would be pleased with Stevie and Grandad's work haha, great spec on the civic buddy and the new clutch and diff is an ideal upgrade with the power you are running. :)

They're two great guys Pete, the way they work is brilliant, as is the standard of work.

Thanks jimbo, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm almost there with modifications now, major/ expensive ones anyway.;)

I'll be honest mate, I've got a couple of parts sat in my tegiwa basket waiting for me to pay for them plus I'm waiting for Karl (tarmacnymph) to remove his j's ready tie bar to be able to go collect that aswell.

do they do rehab for a car parts addiction? :)

Quick update, got a couple of plans and a couple of things going on at the moment.

I received my J's rear tie bar from Karl(Tarmacnymph) earlier today. Needs a good clean and a paint, so that's is currently in progress.

I also bought a premier edition carpet, which needs a good clean and to be fitted.

and finally going to put a order with Tegiwa through at any moment, for some oil and a filter plus some skunk2 bits.

what interesting reading bud, firstly sorry to read about your Dad but an absolute credit to you to get the car to were it is now, love it, ive recently purchased around 6/7 weeks ago my first NHB type R ep3 and already started doin stuff to it lol, but great thread and nice reading the updates :)

Back