• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 restoration - track project

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Here I am, back in another Honda and my second DC5. As much as I enjoyed driving the Evo, I never really gelled with it. I should have learned after my first one; they’re quick, there’s no doubt about that however there’s some things which really detract from the ownership experience. As a point to point car they’re a complete weapon, there really isn’t much on the road that could keep with one. Pick the right gear, usually 3rd or 4th, as long as you are above 3500 rpm, point in the direction you want to go and squirt. Some magic 4WD stuff happens and before you know it you’re doing insane speeds for the public road. Therein lies part of the problem.

As a drivers’ car they can feel a little soulless, you don’t really have to work for the performance. A lot of people will say that it’s like driving a PlayStation on wheels. I don’t agree with that, but for outright fun, for me at least, I get more out of wringing the neck out of something. Then there’s the interior, the IX is based on a car that came out in 2001 and it shows. I distinctly remember when I viewed it, I thought to myself ‘why on earth am I spending £16k on something that’s got this interior?'. I almost walked out that day without buying it. They’re not comfortable either, there’s little cushioning under the arse of the Recaro and anything over an hour really grates. I remember doing a stint up to Croft for a track day and I got out barely able to straighten my back or walk properly. Because racecar I said.

On track it’s extremely capable, with the right tyres, some brake upgrades and suspension mods you will be faster than 90% of things that turn up. Okay, that figure is made up, but you get the idea. The weight of the car soon takes its toll, though. If you’re a crap driver, like me, you’ll overdrive the car and go through brakes and tyres quicker than you can max your credit card. 2 sessions and you need fuel; I think I was getting 5pmg on track which is a little disturbing for a stage one car. I did a full day at Spa and I went through 5 or 6 tanks at a cost of £300 or so. The track day itself was only £150 I think? Then there’s the tyres afterwards, and the brake refurb, and the SAS valve broke and… you get the idea. One final thing that I couln’t get out of my head is the overwhelming sensation that something would break. Driving an Evo on track is like dating a stripper, it’s good fun however you soon realise it isn’t the best idea and you expect the worst to happen.

The older I get the less interest I have in having an uncomfortable and noisy car to potter about in. The Evo was sat outside the garage not getting used. I’d take it out now and then for the sake of it. I loved driving it then, but it felt more of a case that I was doing it to justify owning it. Of course when I took it out I’d cane it which involved high fuel usage and speeds on the public roads which could see me losing my license. More track days must be the answer; I always enjoy going to them. But the Evo is a heavy car. I could have stripped it, but I looked at its value and thought better of it. I guess in the end I never really gelled with it either. So I decided to sell it and get something that I could wring the neck of and not worry too much about.

I’d spoke to a few people about this I’d originally looked at a track EG with a K20 in it. They’re quick cars, but there’s something about the image of the EG that I don’t like so I was never 100% on the idea. I’d spoken to Dotty about it and he mentioned that a DC5 was at TGM and needed some TLC. To this day I miss my old one, there’s something about the DC5 that I’ve always loved.

1 owner from import, 66k miles and pretty much off the road for the past 3 years as the owner got banned. I made an offer in the £5k region and it was accepted. So here it is, in its far from perfect paint finish. The sun really has done some work on it!

Here’s the spec:

01'C/W Red seats Black oem wheels.
Gruppe M
RBC
Mapped by Romain @ Eurospec 243bhp.
Full DC Sports system. DC Battery tie bar.
Front and rear Mugen struts,Mugen oil filler/radiator caps.Mugen gear knob.
Eichbach springs TGM FRSU. Oem springs inc (if you want them).
B&M short shift.
Spoon ETD,Spoon Front brace,
Genuine Seibon C/F Rear spoiler.
C/F Bonnet. (Make unknown-oem style).
And some other bits.

Plan at the moment is to get it back on the road so I can use it! There’s an issue with the brakes so I have bought the TGM BBK, not cheap but worth it I hope. Once it’s on the road and I know what budget I have to play with I’ll start looking at coilovers, seats and maybe some weight loss (the car too!).

9e40e50425c06f487824f45ba7cd51c9.jpg

6c2805563c7e3cf5a1277f3a669ce0f3.jpg

1f134a81b2ed27d0c93c666de529b6bf.jpg

7081c8fc34abfa6bc9242ef7aab28a9c.jpg

9f577635e80b317e24ebb0bf0ecfc909.jpg

d9edb5544ecafdbf6be4b5bdebc26320.jpg

053cfbb080b9b85317226d2c953f527f.jpg

6d6f0d6498ce319fa9ff81f8e0570cbb.jpg

576f5ea37a18afd88a1f5c016ea1ada9.jpg

0c84b112b506874fe5530b405ecb0b67.jpg

ccaaa950bbd9ab60750bc5bebc2bbf61.jpg

Spec as of 23 Feb 17.

I thought I'd compile a list of mods and add them to the first post. More for my own reference as well as I always forget.

Engine/gearbox/performance
  • KPro
  • Mugen intake
  • RBC inlet manifold
  • DC Sports exhaust manifold
  • Fujitsubo RM01A exhaust
  • Clockwise motion baffled sump
  • KAAZ Super Q plated LSD
  • Spoon 5.3 final drive

Suspension/bracing
  • Bilstein B16 coilovers
  • Mugen front brace
  • Mugen rear brace
  • Spoon front under car brace
  • ESMM mounts

Brakes
  • TGM BBK consisting of:
    • Ferrari F50 Brembo calipers
    • Brembo Type III 330mm 2 piece discs
  • OEM rear discs
  • Pagid RS29 pads front, Project Mu NC400 pads rear
  • TGM custom hose kit
  • RBF 600 fluid

Wheels/bodywork
  • Rota Fighter 17*8 ET 48 in bronze with Federal RS-R 215/45
  • Rota Fighter 17*8 ET 48 in black with AD08R 225/45
  • Seibon carbon fibre bonnet painted CW
  • Seibon carbon fibre spoiler painted CW

Misc
  • B&M short shiter
  • K-Tuned street shift cables
  • Blox NeoSatin gearknob

Congratz on the new car. Definitely a fixer-upper! And the McDonald's sticker on the intake might say something about its past life. :lol:

Look forwards to seeing it cleaned up!

Good choice Chris, look forward to doing some track days with you in the future. Dibs on the seats if you change them:D

Jeez lad. That's some change.

Can't wait to see where you take it, from your Forum posts I'm betting it's gonna be proper when it's fixed up. Is it ultimately aiming for purely a track toy or also a fast road car?

Good choice Chris, look forward to doing some track days with you in the future. Dibs on the seats if you change them:D

I will be changing them at some point to Pole Positions.

Jeez lad. That's some change.

Can't wait to see where you take it, from your Forum posts I'm betting it's gonna be proper when it's fixed up. Is it ultimately aiming for purely a track toy or also a fast road car?

Not sure. Part of me wants to strip it completely but I'd still like to drive to track days in relative comfort. We shall see.

First plan tbh is to just get it on the road and get anything fixed that needs fixing. Then go from there.

Christ that's in some state, does it stink in the cabin? Doesn't look like it'll need a major overhaul though which is a result. How long was the guy's ban to let it end up in that state?

I recognise the plate?

I don't get why the owner didn't think to at least cover it if he knew it would be off the road?

I had a choice of a new bike or make a track car. I chose bike...

Christ that's in some state, does it stink in the cabin? Doesn't look like it'll need a major overhaul though which is a result. How long was the guy's ban to let it end up in that state?

Nope, very clean inside. I think he fell out of love with fast things after the ban.

Pole Positions are such excellent seats, that's what I've got in the Corvette at the moment. Probably can't mount them and have them swivel forward to get access to back seats if you want them to be FIA legal though, as I remember even the official Recaro tilt n slide isn't FIA approved - sometbing to bear in mind.

Good choice Chris. And for the price you've paid, you've got a decent base to start from. :cool:

Seen this down there, and will be nice to see it brought back to life.
Bargain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. I'm getting TGM to clean it up and mop the paintwork, should bring some life back into it.

Pole Positions are such excellent seats, that's what I've got in the Corvette at the moment. Probably can't mount them and have them swivel forward to get access to back seats if you want them to be FIA legal though, as I remember even the official Recaro tilt n slide isn't FIA approved - sometbing to bear in mind.

I'm fairly certain there won't be any back seats in time so shouldn't be an issue. Spanner in the works though, someone's just put this up on the DC5 forum. Although I think I may be too fat for Bride's. :lol:

P1000996.jpg

P1000968.jpg

P1000970.jpg

Although I'm pretty sure that red pole positions would look better.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Did the Evo sell easily?

Sorry to burst your bubble Chris, but yes, yes you are too big for Brides. It is hilarious watching people try and squeeze in tight seats, but it can do a lot of damage to the seat and yourself. My mate had MotoDrives in his MX5, he's a skinny runt, so fit in them easily, I on the other hand had to take the roof down just to get in :lol:

Some pics courtesy of Mr Dott.

3e7ac9e9fb8beb3ab15062fab7a34f14.jpg

e3c732baefbd3448fea990485a22d71b.jpg

3f266c5cc1252d3571f302acaa7c1375.jpg

bd9650cedfcd6fcb70e1db33ac9991b9.jpg

3f64d79128cd3112b2d27ee2512d3815.jpg

Nice to see her clean.

I've also bought an RM01A to replace the DC system due to noise concerns.

Back